Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2007, 05:46 AM   #61
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
From the pictures of the opened Reader I don't remember a clock chip so there is no possibility of a clock in the current hardware.

The full screen view mode mentioned earlier in ConnSoft reminds me of the new Adobe "Digital Edition" software (now in beta testing.)
I think it was Bill McCoy of Adobe who told me once that the core of the PDF software used by the Reader resembles the code of Digital Edition.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #62
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
From the pictures of the opened Reader I don't remember a clock chip so there is no possibility of a clock in the current hardware.

The full screen view mode mentioned earlier in ConnSoft reminds me of the new Adobe "Digital Edition" software (now in beta testing.)

Page turns in the Reader do seem a bit faster but I am not sure if it is real, wishful thinking, or just a belief planted in my brain by earlier posts.
Sony Portable Reader CPU reference manual: http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit...C9328MXLRM.pdf

THe CPU in the Sony Portable Reader has a built in Real Time Clock complete with alarm clock and a 1 minute interrupt ability that could be used to wake it up and update the clock on the screen.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Sony Portable Reader CPU reference manual: http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit...C9328MXLRM.pdf

THe CPU in the Sony Portable Reader has a built in Real Time Clock complete with alarm clock and a 1 minute interrupt ability that could be used to wake it up and update the clock on the screen.
The entire UI philosophy of the Reader involves minimising the number of screen refreshes, because it's screen redraws which use power. Would you really want unnecessary refreshes for a clock? Personally, if I want to know the time, I look at my watch!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #64
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
The entire UI philosophy of the Reader involves minimising the number of screen refreshes, because it's screen redraws which use power. Would you really want unnecessary refreshes for a clock? Personally, if I want to know the time, I look at my watch!
They could do it so that the clock only updates when you switch a page.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
They could do it so that the clock only updates when you switch a page.
In one way that could be worse than not having a clock at all, because if you're a slow reader you'd never know whether or not the clock was right .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #66
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Something different: Would it be possible (with the given homemade tools we got) to backup the original 1.0.00.20310 (as cramfs files) before doing this upgrade?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:23 PM   #67
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Something different: Would it be possible (with the given homemade tools we got) to backup the original 1.0.00.20310 (as cramfs files) before doing this upgrade?
Yes, it is possible, and it is not hard to do either. But I am not sure what would be the use. Not sure how you would restore the backup without bricking your Reader (perhaps in the near future it will again become possible). In this thread there is enough information on how to do it.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #68
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan
Yes, it is possible, and it is not hard to do either. But I am not sure what would be the use. Not sure how you would restore the backup without bricking your Reader (perhaps in the near future it will again become possible). In this thread there is enough information on how to do it.
Well, I thought it'd be useful if you want to downgrade again (let's say because Sony has disabled access to root path via USB). You could restore the backup using the update tools that came with this update.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #69
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

the clock could be on demand, we only care about what time it is when we want to know what time it is right?
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #70
Snowthief
Snowthief began at the beginning.

Quote:
Must be nice to have perfect memory like that; "I don't remember seeing it, so therefore it doesn't exist." :)
Snowthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #71
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I don't care about a clock. I just want image support for RTF files and I will be a happy camper.

diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #72
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I'm the guy that categorically opposed an onscreen clock on the iLiad. And the only guy whom ever had one, which then caused me to realize how gosh darned handy it was and publicly admit I'd been wrong.

Based on that unique e-ink experience, for the Sony I'd add a preference: Force clock screen refresh On/Off. One refresh per minute won't break the battery budget if you want an accurate on screen clock. And if you care for longer life, you can turn it off.

I also think it would be useful to support the built in Alarm.

Last edited by scotty1024; 02-10-2007 at 02:25 PM.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #73
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowthief
Must be nice to have perfect memory like that; "I don't remember seeing it, so therefore it doesn't exist."
It is a curse to have such a good memory as mine.

While I was right about a seperate clock chip, Scottie, with far better information, has pointed out that there is a clock chip built into the CPU. My comment, although a bit ill constructed, was that without a clock chip a clock was beyond the current capability of the hardware. The advantage of a clock on the Reader is another matter. I wear a watch and my cell phone always seems to know the correct time.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #74
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
The advantage of a clock on the Reader is another matter. I wear a watch and my cell phone always seems to know the correct time.
Some people like to relax with a book, away from the irritating buzzing thingies like watches and cell phones
And i usually keep both away from my bed too (except when i need the alarm). Then there's the bathroom, reading during lunch... Lot's of places where you won't find a clock, but where one built in the reader would be of great use

Re: implementation & battery drain - like someone already said, one (very localized) refresh per minute is hardly a problem. Besides, you flip pages more often than that. I guess it could also be visible only in the menus so that would reduce the number of refreshes even further... In any case, it's definately a non-issue.

Oh, BTW, i'm new here, so hi everyone!

Last edited by orcinus; 02-10-2007 at 04:35 PM.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #75
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, orcinus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Force clock screen refresh On/Off. One refresh per minute won't break the battery budget if you want an accurate on screen clock. And if you care for longer life, you can turn it off.

I also think it would be useful to support the built in Alarm.
The little symbol that comes up when you click the jogstick demonstrates that the Reader can do a partial screen refresh, so I think it could be done as far as the screen goes.

On the other hand, implementing an alarm would be ... interesting. It'd have to be visual (since there's no speaker), and I'm not sure how useful that might be.

On another note, I think this update is s'sposed to address the "clock losing track of itself" think, after a long time without a ConnSoft connection, I mean.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote