Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #46
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG
Well, for what it's worth, I updated my Reader. Heck, it even remembered where I was in my book, and kept track of all my bookmarks.
The power of XML... all that stuff is stashed in an XML database, which should survive quite a few upgrades with out losing anything.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #47
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
No problems here in the upgrade. ConnSoft always displayed cover art in color for me.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2007, 10:33 PM   #48
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

ditto, update seems to work. no perceived difference in performance transferring to/from 2GB sd card. want clock and folders still.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:40 PM   #49
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
From the pictures of the opened Reader I don't remember a clock chip so there is no possibility of a clock in the current hardware.

The full screen view mode mentioned earlier in ConnSoft reminds me of the new Adobe "Digital Edition" software (now in beta testing.)

Page turns in the Reader do seem a bit faster but I am not sure if it is real, wishful thinking, or just a belief planted in my brain by earlier posts.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:10 AM   #50
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
My eyes opened wide at the mention of Adobe "Digital Edition" (now in beta testing)- Does that mean that Sony is going to support the Adobe DRM ebooks? I am very interested because my county library "lends" ebooks in that format. I don't know if they (I think the library's versions are restricted to Adobe on the Windows PC) would work on a reader version? I WILL go back and read all about Adobe Digital Edition that Google pushed in my face when I asked nicely.

Last edited by Vienna01; 02-10-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2007, 12:16 AM   #51
thebeaglebeagle
thebeaglebeagle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Personal Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
My prs500 on my Macbook Pro 10.4.8 was working prior to the upgrade and is now dead in the water.

My filesystem code is still working.

Wait, wait, what?
Running OSX, or running windows XP?

I haven't been able to get Mac OSX to see the reader, other than in the System Profiler.
thebeaglebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #52
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeaglebeagle
Wait, wait, what?
Running OSX, or running windows XP?

I haven't been able to get Mac OSX to see the reader, other than in the System Profiler.
https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:34 AM   #53
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
I did notice that purchased books which I had renamed (i.e. changed the actual filenames) were "unavailable" in Connect after the upgrade; the titles were there, but I couldn't view the book.

I deleted the entries, then manually re-added the files, which fixed that problem, sorta. They no longer are in the "purchased" collection, nor can they be added to it.

[Update] And now, mysteriously, they have all migrated themselves back to the "purchased" collection. Entertaining....

Last edited by BobVA; 02-17-2007 at 02:47 PM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:36 AM   #54
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
No problem here - updated just fine. I did not get the confirm screen for some reason but the "About" on the Reader shows the correct new version.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:59 AM   #55
MikiBroki
MikiBroki began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiBroki
It's strange, I copied my books to the internal memory and droped my Kingston SD 512mb two weeks ago... and no more power drainning when the Reader is off (I haven't update yet).
Maybe I was wrong. Power drainning continues with no SD card inserted. I say "maybe" because when started the Reader battery icon was 50% off.. and when restarting after the update... It's at full capacity.

No problems when updating, but I don't see any visible change or improvent..

Last edited by MikiBroki; 02-10-2007 at 02:06 AM.
MikiBroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:59 AM   #56
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
My update on plain Win XP SP2 pc for Connect went OK but I am amazed by the "buttons" on either side of the two page full screen view of book content. The buttons for bookmarks and TOC cover up a few characters or a word and do not seem to be removeable- Or is it I just could not find how to remove them-They are very annoying to me. It's not a bug it is a "feature" Right?

Otherwise the changes to Connect that allow scrolling of text irrespective of page boundaries and the full screen 2 page view are welcomed (except for the "buttons).

I seemed to have lost 5 of my 8 purchased books. Maybe from update or after the update-but possibly before and not noticed. Easy enought to d/l them from Connect Store but is it a bug?
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:55 AM   #57
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Lost from the Connect software, or from the Reader? You can download books back from the Reader, it's slightly easier/faster than re-downloading through Connect.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:25 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All gone well here, so at least it doesn't do anything hideous like only allow the upgrade if you're in the US .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:33 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was slightly amused to see that the "Eject" button they've added to the "Connect" software is exactly the same - and identically positioned - to that for an iPod in Apple's "iTunes" software. I guess it's a case of "if it works well, copy it" .
Old 02-10-2007, 04:46 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
My impression/guess is that this is more aimed to fix the actual functionality issues that became apparent in the first weeks after release, rather than to add new functionality, but I've seen some indications that there's likely more to come.
The thought occurs to me, additionally, that perhaps this "bug fix" release is also being used a test for the upgrade process. Perhaps best to test it on something relatively inoccuous like this first before going for a big upgrade?

It's good news that it all seems to work so smoothly.