Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Speculations on a couple of K3 items

Impact Resistance?
I didn't see an advertising that the K3 can take a hit. The K2 had some advertising that suggested it could take a minimal drop. Now, we are told that the K3 is 20% smaller, with the same screen size. I can see that the page turn buttons are tiny. No mention of impact resistance. Makes me wonder, but I guess I will have to wait a while until one of you early adopters drops yours...

Contrast Improvement?
They advertise 50% better contrast. I wonder, is this because of a new screen, or because they changed the case color to graphite, thus fooling our eyes into perceiving 50% better contrast? As many of you know, it was a trick on previous generation Kindles to buy a dark skin to fool our eyes into better contrast.

What are your thoughts on these items?

What do you wonder about?
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
Isn't the 50% better contrast because they're using the same screen as the DX Graphite?
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Yes, the new screen for the K3 is like the one in the GKDX.

It is the new e-ink generation, Pearl, at a contrast ratio of 10:1, as opposed to the previous Vizplex generation's 6:1.

The Graphite body could help even further, but optical illusion only goes so far. It's all in the screen.

PS. Sorry, but I am NOT dropping my K3.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Bratzzo
Addict
Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
[edit] remove post [/edit]

Last edited by Bratzzo; 08-22-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: double post
Bratzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Bratzzo
Addict
Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post

Contrast Improvement?
They advertise 50% better contrast. I wonder, is this because of a new screen, or because they changed the case color to graphite, thus fooling our eyes into perceiving 50% better contrast? As many of you know, it was a trick on previous generation Kindles to buy a dark skin to fool our eyes into better contrast.

What are your thoughts on these items?

What do you wonder about?

the Kindle is still available with a white case!
If the better contrast is only available with the graphite case, amazon would / should say so!

Bratzzo
Bratzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
It is the new e-ink generation, Pearl, at a contrast ratio of 10:1, as opposed to the previous Vizplex generation's 6:1.

The Graphite body could help even further, but optical illusion only goes so far. It's all in the screen.
I agree. I did a bit of a comparison with the Opus (mine is a colour one, and it has a black border around the screen, so we're more or less even with the optical illusion question). The Opus had always pleasantly surprised me with the sharpness and clearness of visualisation, but its contrast is definitely less marked than the Kindle's.

As for the dropping: well, it's always the same question. The chassis is one thing, the screen- or more the glass substrate- is another. It would be easier to broke the latter with a pression/force coming from the front (the back is usually sturdier) than from the sides, which is more what an usual drop would do. (Not a great drop, nor an impale-the-screen drop!)

Last edited by Juliette; 08-22-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Impact Resistance?
I didn't see an advertising that the K3 can take a hit. The K2 had some advertising that suggested it could take a minimal drop. Now, we are told that the K3 is 20% smaller, with the same screen size. I can see that the page turn buttons are tiny. No mention of impact resistance. Makes me wonder, but I guess I will have to wait a while until one of you early adopters drops yours...
Those videos turned out to be not quite true (unless the Kindle hit the ground in exactly the same way) and probably a legal nightmare for Amazon. As I recall, the video disappeared pretty early on in K2's lifespan.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good info on the screen. I have seen the term 'pearl' bandied about, but didn't know what it meant in relation to the Kindle. Thanks. Good info on the contrast too. Might be a good enough reason to upgrade all on its own. (if none of the other changes turn out to be a weakness)
Old 08-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Good info on the screen. I have seen the term 'pearl' bandied about, but didn't know what it meant in relation to the Kindle. Thanks. Good info on the contrast too. Might be a good enough reason to upgrade all on its own. (if none of the other changes turn out to be a weakness)
I've got the Kindle DXG with the new Pearl screen. I've owned the following Sony readers: 505, 300, 600, and 900. I've also owned a K2 and have seen and used the Nook. The Pearl screen on my Kindle DXG blows them all out of the water. It is very easy to read--much better than the closest competition.

As far as dropping any reader whether it is a Kindle, a Sony, or some other brand, expect some damage if it hits a hard surface at a high rate of speed. Even the well built Sony readers will shatter if dropped from a high enough distance. A case will help protect them a bit. Oh and they are definitely not child-proof, so don't let a 2 year old smack it around!
Old 08-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here are two views of a Kindle DXG and a Sony PRS-300 using the same book and page and the same font--both are hacked to use Arial MT Rounded Bold. It is clear from this photo that text on the Pearl is much darker. The contrast is better on the Pearl screen too, though it might not be as clear from the photo, but the Pearl background is lighter than the e-Ink 2nd generation screen used in the PRS-300.

This is as close as I can get to showing a true apples to apples comparison.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pearl-eink2a.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	57008   Click image for larger version

Name:	pearl-eink2b.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	57009  

Last edited by jswinden; 08-22-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
wvpeach
wvpeach began at the beginning.

I am waiting on my new 3G Kindle to come and I can't wait. Going to give my son my K2. The new gray ink technology on the screen will help with my middle aged eyes.

And as for dropping the Kindle , amazon even warrants that. As long as you don't drop it from a height over one floor they replace it for a year.
I always buy the second year warranty for something like $30 bucks. And it is a real warranty and worth it, they replaced one of my kindles my husband stepped on accidentally 14 months after I bought it. That is my kind of service.

And I am thrilled about the new reading light that comes attached to the Kindle and it's case too, so I bought the whole package this time and can't wait for it to get here.
wvpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
stjoe
Connoisseur
stjoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, Pocket eDGe, Kindle Paperwhite, Sony, Onyx N96, Onyx Nova
Sony PRS-300 screen looks whiter than DXG though.

I have seen Taiwan made ereader (Oaxis brand), with whiter screen and better contract than DXG. Not sure if they also use e-ink or other type of screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Here are two views of a Kindle DXG and a Sony PRS-300 using the same book and page and the same font--both are hacked to use Arial MT Rounded Bold. It is clear from this photo that text on the Pearl is much darker. The contrast is better on the Pearl screen too, though it might not be as clear from the photo, but the Pearl background is lighter than the e-Ink 2nd generation screen used in the PRS-300.

This is as close as I can get to showing a true apples to apples comparison.

stjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoe View Post
Sony PRS-300 screen looks whiter than DXG though.
Bad photography perhaps...but the KDXG is whiter than the 300, especially in bright light. Although neither is actually white but a light shade of gray.

Did you actually see an Oaxis in person or just the photos on the internet. Product photos of screens rarely, if ever, represent what they actually look like in person. It is pretty easy to adjust the contrast in Photoshop.

You probably saw something like this video of the Oaxis:

http://en.kendincos.net/video-nvndft...workbench.html

After looking at the video it is clearly no better of an e-Ink screen than the 2nd generation screen on the Sony PRS-300.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-22-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:12 AM   #14
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I've dropped my K2 from quite a height onto a wooden floor - thankfully it was in a leather case and I was very lucky to get no damage. Also hubby has knocked it off the bed a few times - again no problems. I do think getting a good case can help protect it.

My fujifilm camera was dropped onto concrete a few years back and apart from a bit of scratching and a dent on he corner, still works fine. Have been lucky so far not to break anything!
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
JeremyZ
Addict

Jack - thanks for that comparison. One question: How does the screen of the Sony PRS300 compare to the K2's screen? I assume they're about the same, since you said it is close to an apples:apples comparison.

To me, that screen would be the biggest selling point. I don't really feel any eye fatigue from reading the K2, but I can't help but think the K3 would be better somehow. I guess it is just a matter of getting an ergonomics report from one of y'all now.