View Poll Results: Do Under 16's Reader read eBooks
Yes 43 72.88%
No 11 18.64%
Other 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Young eBook Readers .. Do They Exist ???

So Bloomsbury are Releasing the Harry Potter Books with New Covers, but no eBooks,

Given the target audience is the Younger Reader (I know the adults read them too) I do wonder how many Under 16's read ebooks ?

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
daveps
daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daveps ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
My 13 year old rarely puts the thing down, and when he does it's to read a paper book!
daveps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can I add a second Poll ?

If so How ?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveps View Post
My 13 year old rarely puts the thing down, and when he does it's to read a paper book!

I'm glad to hear it, I must confess I just don't know if youngster do on the whole
Old 03-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
My 13 year old sister has a Sony and loves it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Sure, kids love electronics.

Our library Overdrive eBook is adding Young Adult titles like crazy. Especially those teen girl High School Vampire love story type things. I figure somebody with the purchasing power must have a 13yo daughter or something.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I voted no just because nobody else had. I'll get my coat...
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
My kids read on their iPod Touches. My oldest (15) still prefers paper books, my other two like the ebooks.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
We bought my niece a K2 and she is reading almost none stop. She read the 6 books that are out for the House of Night series in about 2 weeks... and she is only 13
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Deleted as poorly thought out post Sorry

Last edited by Kevin2960; 03-31-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Removed by me

Last edited by rcuadro; 03-31-2010 at 05:20 PM.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Not in my opinion. I think that kids need to spend less time on the computer and more time outside or reading
Not to mention that i do not want my 12 year old interacting with adults he or I do not know.

Yes I understand what your saying, and to be honest I phrased my post wrongly, i think its great that eReaders are encouraging kids to read ..... but YES they should get outside more and be active, thats far better for them

But my opinion is suspect ..... because i think JK Rowling and the Harry Potter Books actually Got millions of kids (Adults too for that matter) reading books

Last edited by Kevin2960; 03-31-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
My kids (11 & 14 yrs) are both happy reading either paper or pixels. Neither has a dedicated ebook reader, but they borrow my PRS-505 sometimes, and have both read on my Clie. I've got a Rocketbook for the older child as soon as I figure out how to make it happy with Vista.

I think the main issue with getting adolescents to read ebooks is hardware--finding something durable enough for the average teen's carelessness. (Not that they're always careless, but it only takes one "oops" moment to kill an e-ink screen.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #14
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
My kids (11 & 14 yrs) are both happy reading either paper or pixels. Neither has a dedicated ebook reader, but they borrow my PRS-505 sometimes, and have both read on my Clie. I've got a Rocketbook for the older child as soon as I figure out how to make it happy with Vista.

I think the main issue with getting adolescents to read ebooks is hardware--finding something durable enough for the average teen's carelessness. (Not that they're always careless, but it only takes one "oops" moment to kill an e-ink screen.)

Do we know each other ? .... how come you know how Oopsy I am even now aged 48

But seriously a very good point about Durability, it's not just Teens that could do with that, from what I've seen in other threads
Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
The other thing keeping teens and youngsters from reading on Ereaders is the fact that they cost, quite a bit. An adult with a full time job and can save up, or even splurge and buy one. The younger demographic doesn't have that kind of buying power. They get smaller amounts and hence tend to spend it on things within their price range soon after getting it.
All the ereader people I know are over 25 :-D
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote