Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
s7whitecoral
s7whitecoral began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise-1150
Exclamation A couple of questions about the Kindle 6" global wireless device

I'd like to know a couple of things about the Kindle 6" global wireless device.

1. How do you transfer .pdf ebooks to the device from your macbook?
2. Does the formatting translate properly on screen?
3. Are you restricted to only books from Amazon?
4. Are you able to read secured .pdf books on the device?
5. How long does the battery last?

I would like to know about this device before I make any purchase decision. I currently own an eBookwise reader on which I read all my books from Fictionwise. However, I have a lot of ebooks from various sites (ARe, EC, Loose Id, AmberQuill, Aspen Mt. and so many more) - all of which is in .pdf format - Frankly, I don't want to have to covert over +1200 ebooks just so I can read it on another device so I need to find a device that I can transfer via USB and just read. These are strictly ebooks with no images except for the cover page.

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.
s7whitecoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
1. You can use Calibre to manage and upload eBooks to the Kindle or you can just plug in your Kindle to your PC/MacBook and manually add the books to the Kindle.
2. Depends on the book. Most books look good but there are those that look like poop. PDF's are another monster. I have not used a K2 with the 2.5 firmware but with the 2.3 it shrunk it to fit the screen. Something that is formatted for an 11.5 x 8.5 sheet of paper will be so small it will be hard to read.
3. No. You can read any DRM free eBook formatted in mobi
4. No
5. With Wispernet turned off I can read for almost 2 weeks between charges. With wispernet on I get about a week.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
information, kindle, questions