Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
mapabl
Enthusiast
mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'mapabl understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: iPad Air, iPad Mini. Nook Glo, Kindle Paperwhite,
To update prs-500 or not

Hello ereader friends:
I have a Sony PRS-500 that I'm trying to decide if I should update for the ePub possiblity or leave as is. My battery life is perfect and I really don't want to deal with the possiblity of the recharging issue whereas now I can go weeks without charging.
If I do not upgrade by March 31st, am I correct that I can still read and download lrf files? I'm bascially reading the classics and keeping my PDF craft patterns on the reader.
I am getting the PRS-600 in the next week so...should I just keep everything status quo on my PRS-500?
Is there anyone who has upgraded and battery life has not be adversely affected?
I appreciate your thoughts in advance. Mary
mapabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
ltamote
ltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheeseltamote can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505 (500 dead); PRS-600; Kindle 2; PRS-300; Kindle 3
I sent mine for an upgrade and because of some unspecified problem received a refurbished 505, so I can't comment on the battery issue. I hate to advise you based on my preferences and experiences, but I'll throw a couple of thoughts out in case they'll help.

Since you are getting a 600, any books you buy from the Sony store (if that is where you get them) will be in EPUB format only; you will no longer be able to buy and download books from the Sony store that will open on your old reader without the upgrade. However, it is relatively easy to remove the DRM from the EPUB versions and convert them to LRF (Calibre software works wonderfully), which are readable on the 500. I was able to do this by searching some of the formatting forums on MobileRead.

For EPUB books that you buy elsewhere without DRM, you can directly convert them in Calibre.

You should be able to read your PDF files whether or not you upgrade.

In order to load books you bought in the past from Sony on your new 600, you'll need to redownload them from Sony as EPUBs (no extra cost). Fortunately, the Sony Reader software will keep both formats in your library, if you decide not to upgrade.

Finally, there is the possibility that Laredo won't be able to upgrade your device, and you'll end up with a replacement (may have to argue to get this). There are some features I miss about my 500, and I personally wish I had not sent it in for an upgrade.

My recommendation would be to keep your 500 as is for now and watch the calendar. If, after a couple of weeks with both devices (i.e., before the upgrade deadline runs out), you find that maintaining and converting two formats is unworkable, you can upgrade at that time.

I hope this is somewhat helpful!
ltamote is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
prisha
prisha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-600, Ipod Touch (3rd gen)
i would tell you not to upgrade it. my prs-500 became literally unusable after upgrade as i had to charge battery continiously. i never bought any books from sony store so i did not why i sent it. i had to throw it off and buy prs-600 as i read almost everyday. sending it to laredo is my biggest mistake for the year 2009 and i hate sony for destroying my prs-500. i miss it very much.
prisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Check out this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72338
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by prisha View Post
i would tell you not to upgrade it. my prs-500 became literally unusable after upgrade as i had to charge battery continiously. i never bought any books from sony store so i did not why i sent it. i had to throw it off and buy prs-600 as i read almost everyday. sending it to laredo is my biggest mistake for the year 2009 and i hate sony for destroying my prs-500. i miss it very much.
Why didn't you just buy a new battery? These guys sell it for $22: http://www.batteryship.com/PRS-500

EDIT: Oh, it seems there is a bug that affects battery life. I didn't know about it.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
prisha
prisha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-600, Ipod Touch (3rd gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Why didn't you just buy a new battery? These guys sell it for $22: http://www.batteryship.com/PRS-500

EDIT: Oh, it seems there is a bug that affects battery life. I didn't know about it.
this is true. i don't mind buying a new battery if it would work but sadly i don't think it is the case. even if i forget to charge a day it would just die and needed a reset. i really was becoming agitated and my birthday was in december so my husband bought a new PRS-600 as a gift. we both realized we should not have sent it for an update. sony seems to be replacing it with some refurbished units and i called them many times but i am not able to get any response from them. i sent it in november so may be that is the reason i am out of luck
prisha is offline   Reply With Quote