Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Sony Reader firmware speed comparison

I made a couple quick movies (yes, lousy quality) showing the speed comparison. The one on the right is without and the one on the left is with. You'll notice that they're pretty much just as fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPixvV4TTuM

Here's the second test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBSXql8zDxg
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Speed WAY UP

My Sony PRS 505 Reader had a DRAMATIC increase in speed. Pressing buttons now gives INSTANT results. I used to have to wait up to 15 seconds for a response.

Startup time from a full shutdown has also speeded up. I used to have to wait 3 minutes. Now its up in 30 seconds.

Last edited by sirmaru; 07-31-2008 at 04:34 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
harrynewman
harrynewman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
My Sony PRS 505 Reader had a DRAMATIC increase in speed. Pressing buttons now gives INSTANT results. I used to have to wait up to 15 seconds for a response.

Startup time from a full shutdown has also speeded up. I used to have to wait 3 minutes. Now its up in 30 seconds.
Sounds like yours has gone to how it should be. My non-upgraded 505 was no where near as slow as that.

Glad it's working better for you anyhow
harrynewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 505 with the new firmware also doesn't slow down for embedded fonts like it previously did.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yes I also have notice the speed improvements in the new firmware. I've noticed larger books load much faster, toggling font size is much faster, and books with a lot of hyperlinks also load faster.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert