Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
E-Readers with flexible screens to be launched?

Does anyone know more? ScienceDaily has an article on flexible e-paper today, and they say that "two European companies are launching e-readers based on the FlexiDis technologies."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0602155934.htm

FlexiDis, or Flexible Displays, is a consortium of 20
European universities, research institutes, and
companies, including Philips, iRex, Polymer Vision, and Thales. The only device that I could think of that uses flexible display technology and could qualify as an e-book reader is the Polymer Vision Readius. Who else could be launching an FlexiDis e-reader soon? iRex perhaps?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
I don't know why people are so crazy about flexible displays...

I for one would be happy having an eInk reader that works without backlight reflection and writing gap, and better software, and real newspapers on it, and so on...

Really flexible display is far down on my wish list, and I guess most people who are actually interested into real e-readers too, except people hardly knowing this field and say, flexible? Yay cool!
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Flexible display means no glasbased layers and thus alot harder to damage the screen. So even if its still inside a hard box and not "flexible" as a device, it would be a major step.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Flexible display means no glasbased layers and thus alot harder to damage the screen. So even if its still inside a hard box and not "flexible" as a device, it would be a major step.
Thats a valid argument!
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
gravescp
gravescp is on a distinguished road

Device: iphone
The readius from polymer vision has had a prototype that you can see images of on youtube. They have had it for some time, but I think their time has passed. With the iphone and other mobile phone readers handling all the short format reading. I believe the bigger screen and a more 'bookish' device is what I want for my long format reading.
gravescp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert