Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #151
RobbieW
RobbieW began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There is a change in 2.5.x firmware where the cover for kepub.epubs can show as just a dot. The driver attempts to identify the cover, but it can't always do this. What does the library list show for the cover?
Is there a fix/workaround for this?

Using Calibre 0.9.29 with a Touch on 2.5.1. My current book, a KEPUB/EPUB, shows as a dot on the home screen & the cover shown in Library > Books is blank.

Thanks

btw, my experience is that the Extended driver does a much better job of formatting sideloaded EPUBs than the default driver - thank you
RobbieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #152
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieW View Post

Using Calibre 0.9.29 with a Touch on 2.5.1. My current book, a KEPUB/EPUB, shows as a dot on the home screen & the cover shown in Library > Books is blank.

Thanks

btw, my experience is that the Extended driver does a much better job of formatting sideloaded EPUBs than the default driver - thank you
Um. The default driver does NO formatting of the ePubs; it sends it AS IS. I think you mean the rendering engine on the Kobo used by kEpubs does, in your view, a better job than the ePub engine.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #153
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I don't do any formatting at all, but thanks

You'd be more correct to thank the Kobo developers for making what is, in your opinion, a better renderer than the Adobe RMSDK. And I'm sure they'd love to hear the compliment

EDIT: Actually, you'd be better to thank Kobo for using the ACCESS renderer and thank the ACCESS folks for making the better renderer.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #154
riedje
riedje began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Kobo Aura HD
Actually, what I noticed is that the only thing you need to do (provided calibre is configured for automatic metadata management) is:

1. Send books in question to the device.
1. Eject device
2. Disconnect USB cable
3. Wait for Kobo to process new books
4. Reconnect Kobo and allow calibre to sync metadata.
5. Eject device and enjoy.

This will both fix the small square book cover and simultaneously sync the correct series information, in the library views you'll see the name of the series and the index in a format like this:

<Book title>
<Series> - <Index>
<Author>

It seems that with the copying of books along with their metadata to the kobo reader the series information is ignored and/or erased after the initial processing and sometimes the cover isn't shown correctly. 2nd metadata-only sync should fix this...
riedje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #155
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riedje View Post
It seems that with the copying of books along with their metadata to the kobo reader the series information is ignored and/or erased after the initial processing
Erased. I used to update the database with series info in the early days of this driver, but there's so much fiddly bits with the database that are too fragile and highly dependent on Kobo never changing the database format or the meaning of various fields that I dropped it entirely.
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #156
Mingyar
Connoisseur
Mingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Mini/Aura H2O/Aura One LE / Tea Inkpad 3
Hi jgoguen,

I updated my KoboTouchExtended.zip with the last version of the two files container.py and driver.py founded at https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-kobo-driver.

And now, I can't send any book to my Kobo with Calibre 0.9.29 :
Quote:
calibre, version 0.9.29
ERREUR : Erreur: Erreur pendant la communication avec le lecteur électronique

Failed to parse 'La trahison de l'ange' by 'Eve de Castro' with error: 'this element does not have children or attributes' (file: calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container, line: 511)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 551, in _upload_books
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.driver", line 259, in upload_books
InvalidEPub: Failed to parse 'La trahison de l'ange' by 'Eve de Castro' with error: 'this element does not have children or attributes' (file: calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container, line: 511)
If it can help you ...

EDIT : I've got the zip from the first post of this thread, and it works ... Don't know where is the mistake. At last, it works

EDIT2 : The zip in the first post have the previous versions of the container.py and driver.py, not versions posted 19 hours ago on github.

So, is it a mistake to build our zip from github files ?

Last edited by Mingyar; 05-16-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Mingyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #157
djbe
djbe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:

Thanks

I had the exact same issue for a few books (14 out of 136), solved it by enabling "upload covers for books" option.

Somehow the cover images are not being created in the .kobo/images folder. Curiously enough, the database entries for the books does contain a correct ImageID field value, it just points to a non-existing file. Checking the previously mentioned configuration option fixes this problem.
djbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #158
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbe View Post
I had the exact same issue for a few books (14 out of 136), solved it by enabling "upload covers for books" option.

Somehow the cover images are not being created in the .kobo/images folder. Curiously enough, the database entries for the books does contain a correct ImageID field value, it just points to a non-existing file. Checking the previously mentioned configuration option fixes this problem.
Covers for epubs and kepub.epubs are generated by the device in different ways. For an epub, it is the first page of the book. For a kepub.epub, the OPF has to define the cover image file correctly. Then the extended driver adds a property to that definition. If the cover image is not defined in the OPF, this can't be done.

The send cover options bypass this by creating the covers when the book is sent.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #159
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingyar View Post
Maybe. It depends on what you're trying to do. If you want to just use the driver, you should install the plugin through calibre's standard method. See the Installation Method section of the first post of this thread. Taking the code from GitHub and creating a plugin package was the way to do it before I released it here (which makes it available through calibre directly) and is now just for people who want to test pre-release code.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:43 AM   #160
Vuilen
Vuilen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura / Ipad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingyar View Post
Hi jgoguen,

I updated my KoboTouchExtended.zip with the last version of the two files container.py and driver.py founded at https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-kobo-driver.

And now, I can't send any book to my Kobo with Calibre 0.9.29 :

If it can help you ...

EDIT : I've got the zip from the first post of this thread, and it works ... Don't know where is the mistake. At last, it works

EDIT2 : The zip in the first post have the previous versions of the container.py and driver.py, not versions posted 19 hours ago on github.

I had a similar problem ... This is certainly not the best method but here is my "solution":

Convert from epub to mobi. Delete ePub through meta and send the ebook to your kobo. Calibre ask you to convert it... accept and it's work .

Hope this can help you.

Last edited by Vuilen; 05-17-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Vuilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #161
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

If you're going to do that, you're covering up the underlying problem. Given that the issue is with code that wasn't ready for release, it's possible there was no issue, but if that happens again I'd appreciate it if whoever sees it would post their calibre debug log and PM me a link to where I can download your copy of the book (if it's one you can send of course).
Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #162
Haelu
Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Touch
when i install this plugin, it says Error connecting to device.

calibre, version 0.9.31
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

Failed to parse 'The Book of Ultimate Truths (Cornelius Murphy Trilogy)' by 'Rankin, Robert' with error: 'character mapping must return integer, None or unicode' (file: calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container, line: 74)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 557, in _upload_books
File "calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.driver", line 286, in upload_books
InvalidEPub: Failed to parse 'The Book of Ultimate Truths (Cornelius Murphy Trilogy)' by 'Rankin, Robert' with error: 'character mapping must return integer, None or unicode' (file: calibre_plugins.kobotouch_extended.container, line: 74)
Haelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #163
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
I took your advice on crowdfunding. I finally got my PayPal account created and verified, and I found GoGetFunding as a ChipIn alternative. A fundraiser has been created (http://gogetfunding.com/project/kobo...er-development) and PayPal has also been added to the plugins list in calibre as a donation option.
...and now I've contributed. It's very cool to see that three other folks beat me to it!

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #164
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Not meaning to be a grouch, but I wonder if people realize that a lot of the work done by jgoguen in this driver requires all the work done by davidfor in the Kobo Touch driver, and before him, by Timothy Legge....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #165
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

And the work done by Kovid.

Standing on the shoulders of giants

Tags
error, kobo aura one