Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #361
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post

"Apple's bag of tricks may be close to being empty"

This iPhone 5 release doesn't bode too well for Apple's medium term future. Now they are having a hard time stopping the tide of competing, more advanced and more attractive, phones. They have milked this design too long.
Au contraire

Old 09-14-2012, 01:11 AM   #362
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/app...?siteid=YAHOOB

"Apple's bag of tricks may be close to being empty"

This iPhone 5 release doesn't bode too well for Apple's medium term future. Now they are having a hard time stopping the tide of competing, more advanced and more attractive, phones. They have milked this design too long.
Sounds like what they said about the 4S...

Edit: Looks like they said it in the part you left out:

Quote:
Of course, Apple will laugh all the way to Fort Knox — and have the last laugh
Kinda invalidates headline

Last edited by ScotiaBurrell; 09-14-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #363
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Not really.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #364
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Not really.
Sure it is.

The author says:

Quote:
The success of the iPhone 5 hinges on the company’s ability to create a buzz among the great, unwashed, platinum card-wielding masses.

then says:

Quote:
Apple will laugh all the way to Fort Knox — and have the last laugh

Which is it? Either way, the author is admitting this trick works - just look at the last quote.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #365
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure it is.
Which is it? Either way, the author is admitting this trick works - just look at the last quote.
There is no which is it, since the headline and your quotes have different subjects. You have been hero worshiping on this forum too long today, it is time to take a break so you try to make more sense.
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #366
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
There is no which is it, since the headline and your quotes have different subjects. You have been hero worshiping on this forum too long today, it is time to take a break so you try to make more sense.
"Please take a break from proving me wrong."
Old 09-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #367
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Old 09-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #368
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post

OK, you do that so well yourself that I have no problem taking a break. Besides there is actually a life outside the door today, and I intend to enjoy it.

You and that other one have such easy trigger points to hit that the challenge is beginning to wear thin for this morning anyway.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #369
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The main issue is that the updates are just incremental updates. There's nothing earth shattering from one model to the next (in most cases). I'm only upgrading because my iPhone is almost worthless. Any iPhone before the iPhone 4 should be upgraded.
Surely whether or not it "should be upgraded" depends on the requirements of the individual user, doesn't it? I'm not going to upgrade my iPhone 4 because it does everything I need a smartphone to do.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #370
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Sounds like what they said about the 4S...

Edit: Looks like they said it in the part you left out:

Did you forget to read the last sentence:

"And Apple is entirely correct. People do snatch up these phones to satisfy their egos and self-esteem. Apple is a company built, in part, on marketing status symbols, not merely technological gizmos and gadgets.

But, just the same, if enough folks find the phone doesn’t live up to the hype, this launch could dog Apple."

To sum it up, yes they are making plenty of money now. But medium to long term it doesn't look to good, now that they appear to have run out of new ideas to impress people. Fortunes change quickly in this business.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #371
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Fortunes change quickly in this business.
Just ask Nokia about that.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #372
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Apple aren't targeting iPhone 4 or 4S owners, sure some hard core technologists and fanbois will leap at the opportunity for a new device. The primary market segment are those iPhone 3 and 3 GS owners whose contracts are running out. Add to that those who bought Android phones two years ago and the iP5 will look plenty enticing. I bought the HTC Desire, and if I had been on a contract (I use prepaid) I would surely be tempted to take a look (but I'm happy with my Galaxy Note). Most phone owners are not entrenched in either camp, they just want something that works, doesn't drop the signal, comes with some interesting features to keep you occupied while commuting, and has a decent screen to look at. There are plenty of alternatives available from Android makers, but I don't think I have encountered an iPhone user who complains about the phone (operator? Different story). Combine hype, advertising (all operators are launching campaigns now) and user endorsement, and I don't think Cook or the others in Cupertino are particularly worried.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #373
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Hey, is Apple putting out a new phone? I hadn't heard...
Old 09-14-2012, 03:14 AM   #374
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Ahh, the hardships of gourging on waffles and fritters. Gets you out of the loop.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #375
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Ahh, the hardships of gourging on waffles and fritters. Gets you out of the loop.
'tis a hard path to follow, but I'm determined to do so...and when I'm determined, I sometimes actually do succeed.
Closed Thread