Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
SGB
SGB began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Use iPad to download magazines to Kindle

Hi. I wonder if someone can help. I have a Kindle. For a year or so I've used Calibre running on my to download a magazine every week. My PC somehow then sends the magazine to my Kindle. It is really useful.

I've just bought an iPad. I think I can read the magazine on my iPad, which is great. However I want to use my iPad to take the place of the PC, ie to download the magazine and send it to my Kindle. Can this be done?
SGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGB View Post
Hi. I wonder if someone can help. I have a Kindle. For a year or so I've used Calibre running on my to download a magazine every week. My PC somehow then sends the magazine to my Kindle. It is really useful.

I've just bought an iPad. I think I can read the magazine on my iPad, which is great. However I want to use my iPad to take the place of the PC, ie to download the magazine and send it to my Kindle. Can this be done?
I doubt it very much. You could send the file via e-mail to your "Kindle for iPad" address, which should be visible somewhere in the app or the settings I think. Although I haven't had much luck with that myself. I tried it once, and I think my book arrived without its table of contents on the iPad.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

No, Calibre won't run on your iPad. (I'm assuming you're using a Calibre "recipe" here.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
SGB

Many thanks to you both for taking the time and trouble to reply. I don't know why an iPad can't do this, but I guess it can't!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
You can buy magazine subscriptions from Amazon. Essentially the Amazon cloud replaces the computer. You can read the magazines on Kindle without a special reader app, or on iPad using "Kindle for iPad" reader app, with no need for a computer with calibre. But you might have to specify which device at purchase. Not sure how it works since I've never done it. Here is the link for "Kindle for iPad": http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000490441

Last edited by unboggling; 07-15-2012 at 04:15 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Quote:
Many thanks to you both for taking the time and trouble to reply. I don't know why an iPad can't do this, but I guess it can't!
Now that is a surprise, something the iPad is too locked out to do. Lol. Maybe you can get an app that can import the file type that the magazines come in. Just a thought. It may not be Calibre, but some other magazine reader.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Flipboard is pretty good at taking a rss feed and presenting it in a good looking and readable way. It also has predefined feeds for many American sites. I sometimes read the free articles in the New Yorker that way. But you can't download the feeds, you have to be online to read I think. Other rss readers will probably allow you to read offline.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
SGB

Thanks.

Thanks to you all. I'll look at this again next tiime I want to do this.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Flipboard is pretty good at taking a rss feed and presenting it in a good looking and readable way. It also has predefined feeds for many American sites. I sometimes read the free articles in the New Yorker that way. But you can't download the feeds, you have to be online to read I think. Other rss readers will probably allow you to read offline.
Ohh, I love Flipboard. My girl introduced it to me and I was hooked. It looked presentable in both a 4 and 7 inch device with no compromise.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
LiquidGear
Zealot
LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LiquidGear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Coffee + Flipboard (games & gadgets news) = my daily breakfast
LiquidGear is offline   Reply With Quote