Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
That "Read freely on any open reader" is truly insulting and misleading... What does Canadian False advertising tort say again?
Why is it misleading?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Android Market has over 250,000 apps; so Kobo is referring to an app store that isn't Google.
Are all the Apps on Android Market free?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Are all the Apps on Android Market free?
Nope; but there are definitely more than 15,000 free apps out of a total of over 250,000 apps.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #19
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
That "Read freely on any open reader" is truly insulting and misleading... What does Canadian False advertising tort say again?
You really are odd, rashkae. My best guess (and only a guess) is that Kobo is now anticipating that it's reader apps days are numbered on Amazon with the release of the Fire and the Vox. The Fire would NOT be an open reader.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #20
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I said I wouldn't order a tablet--any tablet. And I said I couldn't care less about colour or the whole Pulse/social experience. So why did I just order a lime green Vox?
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #21
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I said I wouldn't order a tablet--any tablet. And I said I couldn't care less about colour or the whole Pulse/social experience. So why did I just order a lime green Vox?
*grin* nice...I'm actually thinking of this for my 10 year old. I just bought her mom a real tablet for Christmas because she's been wanting one for a while now, and when the 10 year ol' caught wind...well, let's say she's been dropping hints like no tomorrow.

The only things I don't like about the vox are that they are using an older version of android (2.3), which is more optimized for phones; would have liked to have seen at least 3.3, seeing as the new version (4?) is being released today.

The second is the processor..it sounds like it's a single core chip. most tablets coming out now days are mostly dual core 1ghz chips unless you look at the sub $100 cheapies, and the speed doesn't wow on those.

I'll have to play with it at chapters before I make a decision on it.

Last edited by Psyke; 10-19-2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: meant v3.3
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #22
akuerz75
Enthusiast
akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch, Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
The only things I don't like about the vox are that they are using an older version of android (2.3)
Honeycomb does not run on a 7" screen.
Ice cream sandwich is supposed to run on tablets and phones.

As I know Kobo and their update strategy, you can expect some updates here too.
akuerz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #23
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post

I will have to play with one in the store first - but overall I like the design (yeah, quilted back!). And I think the Kindle won't be much use in Canada unless they open up the movie & app store.

The Vox might be going on my Christmas list....
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #24
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuerz75 View Post
Honeycomb does not run on a 7" screen.
Really? Since when?

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...-959016/review

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...1004729/review

it even mentions in that particular article that the HTC Flyer can also be upgraded to honeycomb.

But I don't disagree that Kobo may update it at a future time, but what I'm saying is that it would have been nice for them to release the currently available one rather than go back a couple versions

Last edited by Psyke; 10-19-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #25
akuerz75
Enthusiast
akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.akuerz75 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch, Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
Really? Since when?
ooops
this was included in 3.2

3.0 and 3.1 did support only 8.9" - 10.1"
akuerz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #26
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
Honeycomb will run on any sized screen.

it's more tied to the underlying hardware. I've yet to see Honeycomb run on anything but Nvidia's Tegra2 technology.

I'm kind of frustrated that this was so quietly announced and released. Would have saved me $100+ a week ago if we had some information ahead of time.

My mother was using a Pandigital (lol) "ereader" tablet. Not sure why she had this one, my dad saw "kobo" on the box, figured it was an ereader and bought it for her (she wanted the same i had, the kobo Wifi).

but she grew to love having a 7" android tablet. even a slow one that didnt even have the application store (android 2.0 came on it). But she loved being able to sit on the couch, read, check her email, browse facebook, and browse the web. she's not a computer user, but she took to the tablet as it allowed her to do these things without having to actually use a computer!

Well, she took it on vacation with her to China last month. And dropped it. Shattered into pieces. she brought it home to see if i could fix it (as she's under the impression i can fix anything). But it was toast. bits of chips and logic circuit everywhere!

I felt bad, and I knew how much my mom loves reading and started enjoying the freedom of being online where she was comfortable. I decided to buy her a new tablet. I looked agian at the pandigital 7" reader, and i couldn't justify buying that for her again. it wasn't a great device. even android 2.0 on it ran like garbage. So I bought her the Acer Aconia 100.

She hates it

Honeycomb confuses her. its too complex. to cumbersome. she's had it 2 weeks now, and hasn't figured out how to import books into it. She's tried copy and pasting the epubs into directories like she used to, she's tried downloading them from email. She hates that the applications on it aren't readily available and she really hasn't figured out how to change the homescreen.

So now, out of nowhere today (yes we had an inkling a reader WAS coming) they release the Vox. on Android 2.3. This is the device my mother would do better with.

Maybe I"ll buy this, give it to her, and take the A100, but it would have been nice if Kobo gave indication on this device, and let us know in advance when tehy'd "release" it.
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #27
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuerz75 View Post
ooops
this was included in 3.2

3.0 and 3.1 did support only 8.9" - 10.1"
I apologize as well, as I did mean to say 3.3 (memory fails when you don't have a device in front of you )
Old 10-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #28
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post

I'm kind of frustrated that this was so quietly announced and released....
Yeah, don't understand the stealth release. It's priced right and has great features. Like you said, good for those who are tech-challenged and those who aren't. Lots of folks in the market for something like this. Why so hush-hush?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #29
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Wow. Kobo just took a serious sh*t in Amazon's front yard. I'm quite impressed.

As my kobo WiFi got lifted in the Brugge train station last month and I've since been reading off my kobo original, I think I deserve a Vox...
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #30
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I can't imagine Kobo being able to compete on price using the newer technology. It does seem to compete more with the Nook (which is not available anyplace but the US) rather than the Fire.

Folks in Canada wanting a relatively inexpensive table with newer tech and camera etc, might want to look at the Acer Iconia A100--$299 at Staples and elsewhere.

I bought this, in part, because of the promise of a better outdoor reading experience.

PS: It is not unusual to wait to announce a new product until the last minute. And whenever it is announced, there are always loads of folks who just bought something else.

Last edited by taming; 10-19-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: PS