Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
3G/4G USB card

Does anyone know if the T-Mobile USB 3G/4G card works on the Pocket Edge? I will normally have access to Wi-Fi, but would like the option to buy pay-as-you-go 3G connectivity for when I travel. T-Mobile looks like it would fit my needs best -- $10 for 7 days.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi Serena!

I do not know the answer to your question, but I do know that people have had trouble with their USB 3G cards after upgrading their PEs to the Ermine beta. You might want to read some of the posts on the entourageedge.com forum if you haven't already.

I can probably find the pertinent threads if you have trouble.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I found the threads. Looks like I need to spend a little more on hardware and get the mobile WiFi option. I've upgraded to the Ermine, because I definitely want access to the android market!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Serena,

I hope you like the Ermine upgrade (I like mine! ), but it will not give you access to the Google Android Market. Can you get the apps you need/want from Amazon Appstore, or from any of the locations listed in the "Resources for New Edge and Pocket Edge Owners" thread here?

Also, if you know the name of the app you want, you can often find it by googling <app name> apk.

Not all apps work on the eDGe, even running Ermine. Check here and in the other forum for lists and suggestions of what works and what doesn't.

I hope you enjoy using your eDGe, even if it doesn't do everything you thought it would.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Serena
Zealot

I mis-typed. I do know it won't access the Google market, I found some on Amazon that I wanted. So I think I'll be ok.

I don't have huge expectations for this, I'm replacing a 7/8 year old iPaq, because this is the best option I have found for what I want (I want a hand-held small device that I can use for spreadsheets, check email, and view PDF drawings). The fact that I can mark up the drawings and email them is a huge plus!
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I would like to speak to the matter of the carrier, in this case T-Mobile. There are three types of service providers: contract, non-contract and Pay as You Go. Most people that I have spoken with would be better served with a pay as you go plan since this is cheaper for thsoe that don't use their phones very much. If you use your phone a lot, over two hours of continual use you might be better of with a non-contract plan. The difference with the cotnract plans is the obvious you are not locked into any contract and may depart at any time. Most popular of the non-contract plans are Virgin Mobile and Crickit. Those that are better off with the cotnract plans are those that conduct their daily business on the phone. I had a neighbor once that bought and sold realestate for a living, between the hours of 7am and probably 8pm he was on the phone all of the time with no let up. Since this is how he fed his family he needs to be absolutely certain that the phone is there and available thus the contract was probably the best thing for him.

Which is the best for you?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Filark

My PE replaced an old iPaq, too! I loved that little thing, and didn't really expect to replace it, but I am using my PE instead of the iPaq and also (I feel disloyal just typing it) instead of my Sony Reader. Can't quite replace my laptop or my phone with it, but I do use my laptop less now.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Serena
Zealot

jbcohen, I'm absolutely positive the pay-as-you-go plan is right for me. I travel 1-2 times a year, for about a month, to a jobsite where wifi access is non-existent. The "office" is not convenient for going back and checking the internet/email/drawings/etc. So I need 3G/4G internet access for only that time. The rest of the year, I can wait until I get within WiFi range.