Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
USB connection problems in Win7 x64

I'm having multiple problems connecting my NC to my Win7 PC via USB, particularly from stock 1.2. Every time I connect, Windows attempts to install device drivers, and is successful only half the time, at most. If it successfully mounts the NC as USB storage, it may or may not also mount the SD card (again, maybe half the time).

I also boot CM7 from an SD card using verygreen's size-agnostic image. From there, the connection has been 100% reliable--turn on USB tethering, and both the system and storage partitions get mounted as USB storage.

HOWEVER, plugging in the NC from either OS or from CWM causes a really odd problem with my external HDD: both the drive and the uppermost layer of the file structure will still be listed in Computer, but click any of those folders and they show as empty. The HDD is also "in use" if I attempt a safe eject, but unplugging the USB and plugging it back in solves the problem.

Are other people running 64-bit Windows 7 having these problems? Any idea what could be causing my PC to get 'confused' about the HDD?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
No problems here. When I first got the NC and I was using a 64 bit Win 7 machine and the stock 1.0 or 1.1 NC software. Now I run CM7 only and pretty much never plug it into a pc.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I am running Windows 7 64-bit and have a NC running stock 1.2 OS and I have no problems connecting to Win 7.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:37 AM   #4
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's probably some driver conflict on my computer. I'm planning to pick up a SSD and reinstall Windows before too long, anyway--maybe that will clear it up. Also, I've been using ES File Explorer on the NC, so yeah, not much need to plug into the PC It's awesome for connecting to your PC, and also has a great built-in video player.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
ballast
Enthusiast
ballast is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I have your problem

I have 2 computers running your configuration (one is win7 ultimate and the other is pro, but both 64 bit) my main computer (ultimate) will not recognize my cnook - oddly, it does see my cnook if I use my standard nook cable (white cable) to connect. I was convinced I had a bad cable and B&N exchanged it (very reluctantly), but the new one didn't work either.

Recently I tried it on my alternate computer (win7 pro) and it works flawlessly. I tried finding alternate usb drivers for the "pro" computer, but with no luck - win7 keeps saying the already installed driver is the best one.
ballast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
It's probably some driver conflict on my computer. I'm planning to pick up a SSD and reinstall Windows before too long, anyway--maybe that will clear it up. Also, I've been using ES File Explorer on the NC, so yeah, not much need to plug into the PC It's awesome for connecting to your PC, and also has a great built-in video player.
You may want to check out Web Sharing, allows you to transfer files to and from your NC over WiFi, so no need for USB cables.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
taosaur
intelligent posterior

I guess I didn't specify how I'm using ES File Explorer--it also gives me access to my PC over WiFi. I've also been connecting with a USB extension cable when I need access to the boot partition of the SD card, and oddly neither of the issues has recurred while using the extension cable.

I was also able to connect to my mom's Windows 7 32-bit machine with no problem when I first got the NC.

I've had some other USB oddities as well, so there's something going on in there.