Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
Camper65
Enthusiast
Camper65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle wifi; Dell 2in1
Question Built-in CNet no longer working`

As of apparently five or six days ago the built-in CNet stopped working. It looks like CNet changed their website but am not sure how they affected their rss feeds but I'm just getting a failed download, both that it can't find the cover nor the news feed.

Anyone know what needs to change?
Camper65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper65 View Post
As of apparently five or six days ago the built-in CNet stopped working. It looks like CNet changed their website but am not sure how they affected their rss feeds but I'm just getting a failed download, both that it can't find the cover nor the news feed.

Anyone know what needs to change?
I see the same... In addition, at least for me, Calibre Companion (running on my android nexus 7 tablet) sees the content including listing the article titles, but FBReader doesn't. FBReader opens a blank book...
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Pls. find an updated version below.

Spoiler:
Code:
__license__   = 'GPL v3'
__copyright__ = '2009, Darko Miletic <darko.miletic at gmail.com>'
'''
Changelog:
2011-09-24
Changed cover (drMerry)
2011-10-13
Updated Cover (drMerry)
2014-03-28
Update by Armin Geller
news.cnet.com
'''

from calibre.web.feeds.news import BasicNewsRecipe

class CnetNews(BasicNewsRecipe):
    title                 = 'CNET News'
    __author__            = 'Darko Miletic updated by DrMerry.'
    description           = 'Tech news and business reports by CNET News. Focused on information technology, core topics include computers, hardware, software, networking, and Internet media.'
    publisher             = 'CNET'
    category              = 'news, IT, USA'
    encoding              = 'utf-8' #AGe 2014-03-28
    language              = 'en' #AGe 2014-03-28
    oldest_article        = 7
    max_articles_per_feed = 100

cover_url = 'http://reviews.cnet.com/i/ff/wp/logo_cnet.gif'

conversion_options = {
                          'comment'   : description
                        , 'tags'      : category
                        , 'publisher' : publisher
                        , 'language'  : language
                        }

remove_tags = [                                                    #AGe 2014-03-28, new
                    dict(name='div', attrs={'class':'row controls'}),
                    dict(name='ul', attrs={'class':'sharebar inline-view'}),
                    dict(name='div', attrs={'id':'ob_holder'}),
                    dict(name='span', attrs={'class':'author-social'}),
                  ]

keep_only_tags = dict(name='article', attrs={'id':'article-body'}) #AGe 2014-03-28

feeds = [
             (u'News', u'http://news.cnet.com/2547-1_3-0-20.xml'),
            ]

Ciao,
DivingDuck
Attached Files
File Type: zip CNET_News_AGe.zip (880 Bytes, 176 views)
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Great! Thanks very much.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Camper65
Enthusiast

needed to use new rss feed links

Thank you, but unfortunately part of the problem turns out to be the original feed link, that's only picking up week old articles (it is about a week behind the current CNET rss feeds. So I modified your recipe changes further to use the current links and clean out extraneous stuff from the articles. It's now pulling the most current CNET articles.

Attached is the modified version of the recipe for anyone who would like to use it. Please note that you need to change which feeds you want as it's set to "all" of cnet (all the separate feeds are there but commented out).
Attached Files
File Type: zip CNET.zip (1.3 KB, 170 views)
Old 03-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper65 View Post
Thank you, but unfortunately part of the problem turns out to be the original feed link, that's only picking up week old articles (it is about a week behind the current CNET rss feeds. So I modified your recipe changes further to use the current links and clean out extraneous stuff from the articles. It's now pulling the most current CNET articles.

Attached is the modified version of the recipe for anyone who would like to use it. Please note that you need to change which feeds you want as it's set to "all" of cnet (all the separate feeds are there but commented out).
I'd like to suggest that Calibre switch to this as the formal CNET recipe, or at least make it an available alternative.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
TropicalGlenn
TropicalGlenn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, iPad
CNET News too large to email

Could someone kindly help me out.

I've been using Calibre to fetch news and email it to my kindle for a long time (since I'm not always home). A few weeks ago my CNET news would show up on my kindle as an empty 3 page book. Investigating things on the Calibre side showed that the CNET News ebook generated was 28 MB! Calibre is receiving errors trying to email it because its so large. I'm running Calibre 1.33 using the built in CNET News fetch.

I'm really missing reading the tech news on my kindle. Could someone either fix this or tell me how to deal with it.

Thank you,
TropicalGlenn
TropicalGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I that CNET Asia is being combined into CNET, so maybe it has something to do with that.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
Camper65
Enthusiast

You will need to modify the built-in to the specific feeds of cnet that you actually want as the built-in now downloads the main feed by default which downloads a large file
Old 04-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #10
Camper65
Enthusiast

TropicalGlenn -

Were you able to modify it so you'd get the specific areas you want? If you need further help let me know please.

Camper65

Tags
broken, cnet, recipe