Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
The twenty most embarrassingly bad book covers

http://flavorwire.com/378513/20-emba...lassic-novels/

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-14-2013 at 09:50 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
What can I say but: Wow! There really are some embarrassments in there. The Princess Bride is probably my pick for worst ... though it's a close call. Elizabeth Gaskell fans might argue the point with some justification.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I thought the only thing that flew in Oz were winged monkeys. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I thought the only thing that flew in Oz were winged monkeys. lol.
Don't forget that the Wizard does have a balloon, and he does indeed make an appearance in this subsequent book in his balloon. So I just imagined this was a modernised version.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Looks like the old Fantasy tradition of non sequitur covers is still in full form.

The one of Carrie actually makes sense, in an Expressionistic way.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm presuming the OP meant 'Twenty.'

Title now corrected.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And to think, all these years, we've been reading an abridged version of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn without the scene of the naked lady pouring water from the vase. How could we? Quick, someone find the unabridged version so we can read that cut scene.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So I do not feel so bad about the cover I had on my first book till recently now...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
So I do not feel so bad about the cover I had on my first book till recently now...
The "Great Classics" series covers have been the brunt of cover discussion and near-hysteria for a few years now. I forget where I first stumbled on someone having at them, but I see their practice of (wait for it) repurposing covers and just dart-throwing for covers continues. Obviously, they were really, really watching that episode of Project Runway where Heidi Klum lectured everyone about not being "matchy matchy."

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
The really bad ones in my opinion from the list are The Turn of the Screw (ridiculous), Anne of Green Gables (LOL), and The Wizard of Oz (What the --? I'm confused). Irrelevant and absurd covers.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #11
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
The "Great Classics" series covers have been the brunt of cover discussion and near-hysteria for a few years now. I forget where I first stumbled on someone having at them, but I see their practice of (wait for it) repurposing covers and just dart-throwing for covers continues. Obviously, they were really, really watching that episode of Project Runway where Heidi Klum lectured everyone about not being "matchy matchy."

Hitch
Here's a blog featuring more of those covers-

http://kahnscorner.blogspot.com/2013...ir-covers.html

Who knew ''A Connecticut Yankee...'' took place on a desolate alien planet?
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Andy Farman
Connoisseur
Andy Farman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
tumblr have a huge collection

http://lousybookcovers.tumblr.com

but sometimes fantastic story ideas dreamed up when you are drunk should not be acted upon until sober.

[Image deleted - MODERAT0R]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-16-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Andy Farman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Farman View Post
tumblr have a huge collection

http://lousybookcovers.tumblr.com

but sometimes fantastic story ideas dreamed up when you are drunk should not be acted upon until sober.

[Image deleted - MODERAT0R]
Oh, I love Nate Shumate's collection (LousyBookCovers) of bad covers! I follow him and get my "chuckle du jour" from his posts!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote