Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
mobitynd
mobitynd began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS300 Kobo Touch
Question 2.1.5 made my favourite font go away!

I have been using Felbridge (sp?) since I got my Kobo, it vanished after the last upgrade and now all my books look wrong!
I am a very happy Kobo user and I enjoy the fact that the device frequently upgrades, but I wasn't prepared to lose a font I liked. I've been trying really hard with the others, but they're just not the same!
I know it's not a big deal really, but any ideas?
mobitynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't see that font anywhere. But then again I'm on 2.1.5 too so I guess I never knew that font.
It would be nice though if the Kobo website allowed people to download extra fonts.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You can add any font you want to the kobo's.... Now admittedly Felbridge is a licensed font so the first challenge is finding a similar font.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Care to explain how ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You can add any font you want to the kobo's....
Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobitynd View Post
I have been using Felbridge (sp?) since I got my Kobo, it vanished after the last upgrade and now all my books look wrong!
I am a very happy Kobo user and I enjoy the fact that the device frequently upgrades, but I wasn't prepared to lose a font I liked. I've been trying really hard with the others, but they're just not the same!
I know it's not a big deal really, but any ideas?
That is the one I was missisng! I knew a font I liked was missing... Oh well, I can get along with others.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I can't find the definitive thread but basically what you do is the following
  • With the Kobo attached to your PC create a directory in the ROOT directory called fonts LOWER CASE
  • Copy the 4 files that correspond to the font to that directory. The four files need to end with -Bold, -BoldItalic, -Italic, or alternatively, b, i, z.
  • For instance Arial.ttf, Arial-Bold.ttf, Arial-BoldItalic.ttf, and Arial-Italic.ttf

Then eject the Kobo and you shoujd be done.

[EDIT]
Updated to correct the directory name

Last edited by PeterT; 10-24-2012 at 09:35 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Nina182B
Connoisseur
Nina182B began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Cybook Opus, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura
Felbridge doesn't look the same anymore

I copied the felbridge files from 1.9.17 zip and placed it in my fonts folder. I am on 2.1.5. It doesn't look right on the Kobo Touch though. All my other custom fonts look fine, but this one doesn't. It reminds me more of times roman. I opened the same felbridge font files on my PC and it looks like felbridge there, just not on my Touch. Is this happening to anyone else?
Nina182B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
gjergji
gjergji began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina182B View Post
I copied the felbridge files from 1.9.17 zip and placed it in my fonts folder. I am on 2.1.5. It doesn't look right on the Kobo Touch though. All my other custom fonts look fine, but this one doesn't. It reminds me more of times roman. I opened the same felbridge font files on my PC and it looks like felbridge there, just not on my Touch. Is this happening to anyone else?
pm-ed you
gjergji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
With the Kobo attached to your PC create a directory in the ROOT directory called .fonts LOWER CASE and with a leading period
Are you sure one needs the leading period in directory name? On my Touch it works without (too). However, lower case is important.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #10
Quexos
Member Retired

Interesting information thanks
Do fonts that I'd add appear on the menu next to the other fonts options ? cause I was thinking since these added fonts are not where the original ones are, maybe they would not.

Quote:
I can't find the definitive thread but basically what you do is the following
  • With the Kobo attached to your PC create a directory in the ROOT directory called .fonts LOWER CASE and with a leading period
  • Copy the 4 files that correspond to the font to that directory. The four files need to end with -Bold, -BoldItalic, -Italic, or alternatively, b, i, z.
  • For instance Arial.ttf, Arial-Bold.ttf, Arial-BoldItalic.ttf, and Arial-Italic.ttf

Then eject the Kobo and you shoujd be done.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:34 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Interesting information thanks
Do fonts that I'd add appear on the menu next to the other fonts options ? cause I was thinking since these added fonts are not where the original ones are, maybe they would not.
I haven't done this for a while, but, my memory tells me they are added to the font list. I have a feeling they are added at the end rather than in alphabetical order.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #12
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I haven't done this for a while, but, my memory tells me they are added to the font list. I have a feeling they are added at the end rather than in alphabetical order.
Yes, they are added on the list, and yes, they are not in alphabetical order. If you see your added font on the list, it should be correctly installed.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:32 AM   #13
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina182B View Post
I copied the felbridge files from 1.9.17 zip and placed it in my fonts folder. I am on 2.1.5. It doesn't look right on the Kobo Touch though.
The KT handles fonts that users install different from those it comes with. With user fonts, it does not offer the advanced font settings. Maybe this makes the difference. There is somewhere a description how to install a font as an "internal font". I cannot find it now, but generally speaking, you put the font (with the appropriate path, same structure as in the original update file) into KoboRoot.tgz and copy it to the .kobo folder. I did not try it myself and I am even not sure whether Felbridge supports the advanced settings, but maybe this does the trick.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #14
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
The KT handles fonts that users install different from those it comes with. With user fonts, it does not offer the advanced font settings. Maybe this makes the difference. There is somewhere a description how to install a font as an "internal font". I cannot find it now, but generally speaking, you put the font (with the appropriate path, same structure as in the original update file) into KoboRoot.tgz and copy it to the .kobo folder. I did not try it myself and I am even not sure whether Felbridge supports the advanced settings, but maybe this does the trick.
Unfortunately it does not. Only the original fonts in the 2.x firmwares support advanced settings, and the additional ones are look the same (sometimes ugly) whether those are in the fonts folder or hacked into the internal file system.
( I tried it with 2.0.0, but I doubt this changed in 2.1.5)

Last edited by clsdclsd; 10-24-2012 at 05:35 AM.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #15
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Thank you clsdclsd for clarifying this.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote