Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Amazons KDP Select, $2.48 per download

Hello, I just got a newsletter from Amazon saying that every book that was downloaded in April through the Kindle Direct Publishing program received $2.48 per download. This sounds pretty good to me. Does that sound decent to you? What I am still wondering about is if all the money is taken from payments from Amazon Prime members, or If Amazon is tossing in a bit of change to entice new authors and readers at this early stage of the paradigm shift?

I suppose the writing community is split between those who wish to actually set their own prices on their works and those who believe in the future of digital distribution.

Last edited by Giggleton; 05-22-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The e-mail I received said the author received $2.48 each time one of their books was borrowed.

The money sounds great, as I would not earn much more than that for selling an e-book through them.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
The e-mail I received said the author received $2.48 each time one of their books was borrowed.

The money sounds great, as I would not earn much more than that for selling an e-book through them.
Borrowed? as in lent between individual ereaders or individuals, files sent through social media etc..., but not directly using Amazon? I'm not sure the KDP is set up for that sort thing but it sounds interesting.

I imagine the Hunger Games was the most downloaded book but some actual data would be nice.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
andreabc
Zealot
andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andreabc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (4th gen)
I think you are probably both talking about the same thing?
(downloading/borrowing through the Kindle Lending Library)
andreabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
sounds good to me. a little makes a lot.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
That sounds generous. Does anyone know the average and median price of books in the KDP?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
That sounds generous. Does anyone know the average and median price of books in the KDP?
I'm sure someone does, these are about books in the KDP Select program, which is a part of the KDP, maybe I'll change the thread title.

Anyway, most people seem to think that setting your book at 2.99 American is the way to go...

I do think there is a distinction between borrowing and lending, I am just not quite sure what it is yet.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I do think there is a distinction between borrowing and lending, I am just not quite sure what it is yet.
Just a guess...

Lending = One user lending their copy to another (provided lending is enabled)

Borrowing = Prime members borrowing a copy from the Kindle Lending Library
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I wouldn't mind seeing that kind of extra money come in at all. Every little bit helps.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing that kind of extra money come in at all. Every little bit helps.
It's not quite extra money, from my understanding, books in the KDP Select library do not have a price tag, unless after reading you decide to keep the book indefinitely? But still, the author is compensated after the book has been read, which is good, at least in theory.

The lending/borrowing distinction is pretty good, do KDP Select books have lending enabled?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Still not worth it for me, as I would have to give up my sales through all other channels. Even though Amazon is the largest chunk of my sales for many of my titles, my overall royalties from my combined Smashwords affiliate sales are higher.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
Still not worth it for me, as I would have to give up my sales through all other channels. Even though Amazon is the largest chunk of my sales for many of my titles, my overall royalties from my combined Smashwords affiliate sales are higher.
This kind of thing makes a one bookstore to rule them all sound a bit better. Especially if nothing is able to be priced/sold.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
scottmarlowe
Enthusiast
scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
KDP Select was pretty good to me (and many others) early on, but it was pretty short-lived, as in just for a few months. Lately, borrows are way down (for me, anyway) and I'm looking forward to pulling my books out so I can re-introduce them to the wider market.
scottmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmarlowe View Post
KDP Select was pretty good to me (and many others) early on, but it was pretty short-lived, as in just for a few months. Lately, borrows are way down (for me, anyway) and I'm looking forward to pulling my books out so I can re-introduce them to the wider market.
There are now 156,000 titles. They were fewer titles early on.
Plus, the Hunger Game movie may have led some to the sequels.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, kdp select