Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
kindle X-ray

I think this is brilliant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbzOLua2baw
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Is X-ray only for the touch version? That would be unfortunate. I can see how the touch version would make it easier, but it should still be doable with the d-pad.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I wonder if this is why the touch has less room for books than the keyboard version? (3000 vs 3500 on the comparison chart, though both are listed as 4GB)

Some of that info is stored on it on the 4GB of storage? Like a encyclopedia?

And probably has a faster CPU, which would help search. The dictionary can be a little sluggish on mine
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:03 AM   #4
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I wonder if this is why the touch has less room for books than the keyboard version? (3000 vs 3500 on the comparison chart, though both are listed as 4GB)

Some of that info is stored on it on the 4GB of storage? Like a encyclopedia?
My understanding of it, based on Bezos presentation, is that it will be incorporated into the ebooks themselves, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:22 AM   #5
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
From watching and listening to the video, it is sidecar file, like the apnx, phl, etc.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:39 AM   #6
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
For X-Ray, when a new book is purchased/downloaded then this additional information is also downloaded but in a separate/side-by-side file.. That means no connectivity required. Conversely it may also mean that the data is fixed and if they missed something then you have to go searching manually.

What I am really interested is in, perhaps custom methods can be used to create these files of side-by-side content with books(calibre plugin anyone?), unless amazon restricts is to DRMed ebook purchases.

I can imagine how awesome this would be when reading a popular title (only popular title will have information that goes beyond 'facts'). All the extra info would make it worth re-reading the favorites/classics. There can be various features like writer/critics commentary, and all sorts of story/book/meta related information.

eg, Teachers could create this side-by-side data to aid students by linking various topics and what not.

Very exciting.
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:50 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Is X-ray only for the touch version? That would be unfortunate. I can see how the touch version would make it easier, but it should still be doable with the d-pad.
Yep; sure looks like it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My question - who chooses the terms and links available for this detailed search?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:32 AM   #9
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
i like kindle because it's distraction free....you and the book in direct contact. all this extra fluff is unnecessary imho.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:39 AM   #10
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Ah, okay, so basically like an annotated version of the book? (only have to tap to see the notes).

Nice idea, but considering that a lot of publishers can't even proofread/format their books properly, it seems like creating a file full of notes is going to be unlikely, especially since it's only for a subset of Kindle owners/users.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My question - who chooses the terms and links available for this detailed search?
I'm presuming it's some kind of computerized algorithm that just plucks entries from Wikipedia.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
i like kindle because it's distraction free....you and the book in direct contact. all this extra fluff is unnecessary imho.
Normally, I might agree with you.
This I think, while not as useful as an encyclopedia, does a good job of coming close.
You wouldn't call the dictionary feature 'extra fluff' would you?
I call the social networking features 'fluff' myself, and am thankful I never see them.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yep; sure looks like it.
That sucks imo. Yes the navigation via d-pad would be clunkier, but so what? So are word lookups. I see no reason why not to let the d-pad navigate Xray. Let me decide if it's worth the effort. I hope they add it in a software update, or I may just be sticking with my K3.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I don't know that the data is publisher provided. One of the videos I watched talked about getting the data from Shelfari (not getting it on-the-fly, but sourcing it from Shelfari)

I echo the hopes for a Calibre plugin One of the things that might make me cancel my pre-order is the thought of losing all the Calibe/plugin goodness that I currently use on my K3

ETA - yes, Shelfari does seem to be the source. In this video, at about the 2:05 mark he starts demoing x-ray, and a few seconds later he mentions Shelfari.

Last edited by tlrowley; 09-29-2011 at 01:26 PM.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Nice idea, but considering that a lot of publishers can't even proofread/format their books properly, it seems like creating a file full of notes is going to be unlikely, especially since it's only for a subset of Kindle owners/users.
Agree with first part about publishers not taking the time to do this, or at least do it right. Most of the books I've bought recently still don't even show page numbers!

I don't think I would consider the Kindle books a subset though. Publishers will quickly tell you that 67% of their eBooks are sold through Amazon and that eBook sales through all the other stores combined only account for about 33%. So I would say that all the other stores, including all the ePub books, are the actual subset.