Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
david55555
david55555 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Adding PDF Scanned book

Hi everyone,

Recently, I photographed with my phone a whole book, which I wanted to keep - It belongs to a library.
After I took all the shots, I put them all into a PDF file. Now, I want to add that PDF to my Library on Calibre.
First, whenever I was Browsing my computer with Calibre the book wouldn't show up. I got to work around this by having Calibre Showing all files. Now, when I try to add the book, I get the following error:

calibre, version 3.21.0
WARNING: Errors while adding: There were problems adding some files, click "Show details" for more information

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed to add the file /home/me/Documentos/Biblioteca/The book to the book: The Book
With error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/add.py", line 430, in add_formats
    if self.db.add_format(book_id, fmt, path, run_hooks=False, replace=replace):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1411, in add_format
    size, fname = self._do_add_format(book_id, fmt, stream, name)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1378, in _do_add_format
    size, fname = self.backend.add_format(book_id, fmt, stream, title, author, path, name, mtime=mtime)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/db/backend.py", line 1495, in add_format
    fname = self.construct_file_name(book_id, title, author, len(fmt))
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/db/backend.py", line 1199, in construct_file_name
    raise ValueError('Extension length too long: %d' % extlen)
ValueError: Extension length too long: 106

What can I do to fix this?

TL;DR: I have a PDF with a bunch of photos from a book but I can't add it to Calibre. How to fix this?
david55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think it's related to the name of the file.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
david55555

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Any ideia? Could it be too long? Or the fact that it has some special caracters? like ã
Old 12-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Try calling it "a.pdf" and see if that helps.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@david55555 : if it is a PDF then the file name should end with .pdf. The tool you used to create the pdf from the images should have done that for you.

FX: author name - book title.pdf

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
david55555

Quote:
actually, changing the file name and folder name didn't do it, but I get a Different error now:

calibre, version 3.21.0
AVISO: Erro ao adicionar: Houve problemas na adição de alguns ficheiros, carregue em 'Mostrar detalhes' para mais informações

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Falha ao adicionar o ficheiro /home/david/Documentos/Biblioteca/1/1 ao livro 1
Com o erro:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/add.py", line 430, in add_formats
    if self.db.add_format(book_id, fmt, path, run_hooks=False, replace=replace):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1411, in add_format
    size, fname = self._do_add_format(book_id, fmt, stream, name)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1378, in _do_add_format
    size, fname = self.backend.add_format(book_id, fmt, stream, title, author, path, name, mtime=mtime)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/db/backend.py", line 1519, in add_format
    with lopen(dest, 'wb') as f:
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/startup.py", line 139, in local_open
    ans = open(name, mode, bufsize)
IOError: [Errno 2] Ficheiro ou directoria inexistente: u'/home/david/Biblioteca do Calibre/Desconhecido/1 (11)/1 - Desconhecido./home/david/documentos/biblioteca/1/1'
Last line says FIle or directory doesn't exist.

I don't have this problem with any other books
Old 12-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just drag the file into the book list and drop it.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #8
david55555

I wish I could quote all, but I can't so nevermind. It was really as easy as add a .pdf in the end. Thanks guys, worked perfectly.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I would question why any help was offered to someone who to by all appearances is committing piracy and/or copyright violation.

Hmmm... borrowed a library book, took pictures with a phone of all pages and created a pdf of the image files and now want to add it to calibre.

My apologies to any moderators whose toes I've stomped on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jolly_Roger.png
Views:	152
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	168640  

Last edited by DNSB; 12-27-2018 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Added apology
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:37 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I would question why any help was offered to someone who to by all appearances is committing piracy and/or copyright violation.

Hmmm... borrowed a library book, took pictures with a phone of all pages and created a pdf of the image files and now want to add it to calibre.

My apologies to any moderators whose toes I've stomped on.
Oops I overlooked that!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Oops I overlooked that!
same here - my eyes went straight to the error text.

BR

Tags
adding books issue, error, images, pdf, pdf with images