Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-10-2018, 11:46 PM   #61
anywho
Connoisseur
anywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle
I installed several fonts, https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Saira+Condensed is one, and the ubuntu fonts another https://design.ubuntu.com/font/

However, none of them are showing up. Any ideas why ?
anywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:23 AM   #62
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by anywho View Post
I installed several fonts, https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Saira+Condensed is one, and the ubuntu fonts another https://design.ubuntu.com/font/

However, none of them are showing up. Any ideas why ?
How did you do it? You need to copy the *.ttf files directly in the fonts folder on your Kindle (no *.zip), and they will show up in custom fonts.

Remember custom fonts do NOT work with mobi files, kf8 or kfx only.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2018, 01:29 AM   #63
anywho
Connoisseur
anywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
How did you do it? You need to copy the *.ttf files directly in the fonts folder on your Kindle (no *.zip), and they will show up in custom fonts.

Remember custom fonts do NOT work with mobi files, kf8 or kfx only.
That's what I did. What do you mean they don't work with mobi?

I tried both with mobi and Amazon books
Old 06-11-2018, 01:45 AM   #64
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
That's what I did. What do you mean they don't work with mobi?

I tried both with mobi and Amazon books
Old mobi files *.mobi or sometimes in *.azw container won't work for custom fonts. Only kf8 (*.azw3) or kfx (*.kfx) work with custom fonts. Make sure you have 5.9.6 show as FW and try restarting your Kindle again.

Edit: Attached are 2 pictures that show how it should look like. This is an sideloaded KF8 (*.azw3) file on my Oasis 2. Please ignore the huge font size (12) since I use a custom font ramp. You see the Aa menu and then the arrow opened with all custom fonts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180611_014947.png
Views:	497
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	164418   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180611_015015.png
Views:	536
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	164419  

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 06-11-2018 at 01:59 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #65
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
At first, I thought my fonts weren't being loaded but then I realized that my PW3 showed a new font folder that had the name of the last fond chosen. If I add three fonts I get one new name on the Aa listing but it opens to show all three fonts.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #66
anywho
Connoisseur

yeah, so far not a single book I've tried has worked, and it's exactly what I did :/
Old 06-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #67
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Mine are working really well. I'm using Charis SIL ModifiedLarger and it looks so good - can use a much smaller font size than with Bookerly (the pic shows font size 2), and it is good and bold even without using the bold function.

The first time I tried, it didn't work, but that was because I had copied the (unzipped) folder for each font. Once I copied the individual files for each font into the Fonts folder, it worked perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4770.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	687.9 KB
ID:	164429  
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #68
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
yeah, so far not a single book I've tried has worked, and it's exactly what I did :/
I just tested mine with a .mobi file (converted an ePub to .mobi via Calibre). I got a warning notice that custom fonts were "not available." But I probably got that notice because I've got my Kindle set to the custom font (Constantia) as the default. Once I converted the same book to AZW3 it allowed the custom font to appear (actually loaded it by default).

If you're not getting the custom font choice on AZW3 books something is either corrupted or (somehow) not installed correctly.

The upgrade should have installed a fonts directory (lowercase, plural) in the root directory. Inside that folder you should have gotten a Readme.txt file. In the original Kindle Touch (using the old hack) you had to add your own fonts directory. With the new firmware this is not necessary.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with this new feature, but I've got to believe it can be fixed.

EDIT: I've added screenshots of the root folder and fonts folder on my Kindle (this is in Linux, so it will look different if you're using Windows or OSX).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kindle.png
Views:	353
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	164430   Click image for larger version

Name:	fonts.png
Views:	280
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	164431  

Last edited by rcentros; 06-11-2018 at 02:17 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #69
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Hallelujah.

Doesn't work with Mobi which I prefer because of the tighter line spacing, but finally this is a step in right direction. At least now if my jail broken voyage breaks, I'll have an option other than crying copious tears
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #70
anywho
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Hallelujah.

Doesn't work with Mobi which I prefer because of the tighter line spacing, but finally this is a step in right direction. At least now if my jail broken voyage breaks, I'll have an option other than crying copious tears
OMG. because of this I Was going to do a screenshot to ask if I'm doing something wrong, and I realized it wasn't in the fonts folder but in root (*facepalm*)

Stupid file browser ... I should stick to terminal

thanks
Old 06-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #71
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
I quite like Bookerly, but I guess the feature is nice for all you tinkerers. Never really looked at the font that much, other than adjusting size/boldness for clarity.
Same here. I don’t get the big deal about fonts. What’s already given is enough
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #72
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Mine are working really well. I'm using Charis SIL ModifiedLarger and it looks so good - can use a much smaller font size than with Bookerly (the pic shows font size 2), and it is good and bold even without using the bold function.

The first time I tried, it didn't work, but that was because I had copied the (unzipped) folder for each font. Once I copied the individual files for each font into the Fonts folder, it worked perfectly.
Where can I get that font
Old 06-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #73
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Where can I get that font
You can’t! What‘s already given is enough!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #74
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
You can’t! What‘s already given is enough!
lmao I was just curious.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:36 PM   #75
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Same here. I don’t get the big deal about fonts. What’s already given is enough
I like a darker font than what came on the Kindle 8th Generation. "Bolding" Palatino helped, but when you "bold" the fonts you loose some of the sharpness. Constantia (for me) is the perfect font. I don't know who made it (or where I found it) but I'll always be glad I did. (I think it was on Mobileread, and this one was specifically designed for Kindle and "bolded" to be darker, but I've never been able to find it again.)

Last edited by rcentros; 06-11-2018 at 06:39 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote