Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did post screenshots showing hinted vs. non-hinted using my H2O and for eInk, I'm going with non-hinted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:46 AM   #92
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
So am I, although the difference is small enough that with your screenshots, I can't tell which version I'm looking at without peeking.

Thanks for the work, Jon. It's my standard font on my readers since you came up with it, and although I often try a new font when it pops onto the radar as 'great for e-ink' and stuff, I keep returning to it.

Again,
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
So am I, although the difference is small enough that with your screenshots, I can't tell which version I'm looking at without peeking.

Thanks for the work, Jon. It's my standard font on my readers since you came up with it, and although I often try a new font when it pops onto the radar as 'great for e-ink' and stuff, I keep returning to it.

Again,
You are very welcome. I'm glad you like the new version. I wanted to add in kerning and change the weight of the font. From what I've learned modifying Charis SIL previously, I was able to do the newer version Charis SIL even better.

Also, I'm keeping a version with no added weight in case anyone wants to add their own weight using a Kobo Reader or a font editor. Eventually, I'll get to doing the smallcaps version. But I'm probably not going to get to it until sometime in September.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Here are the first non-test versions of Caris SIL (named ChareInk). The line height has been adjusted to work well with both ePub and Kindles. Kerning has also been added. There is no hinting. There is a version with added weight for eInk screens.

I am attaching both the version with added weight and no added weight. If anyone finds anything that should be fixed, please let me know.

P.S. Removed attachments in order to fix a naming issue

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-19-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #95
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
A little issue.
In ChareInk-Bold, the name of the family is ChareInkTest.

Anyway JSWolf, thank you very much again for such great job.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2016, 03:40 PM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
A little issue.
In ChareInk-Bold, the name of the family is ChareInkTest.

Anyway JSWolf, thank you very much again for such great job.
Thanks for that. I'll fix it and repost.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

New versions of the non-test ChareInk fonts to fix a problem in the name of the bold font. Sorry for the mistake. It is now fixed.

Quote:
Here are the first non-test versions of Caris SIL (named ChareInk). The line height has been adjusted to work well with both ePub and Kindles. Kerning has also been added. There is no hinting. There is a version with added weight for eInk screens.

I am attaching both the version with added weight and no added weight. If anyone finds anything that should be fixed, please let me know.
Enjoy!

P.S. Attachments removed because of a mistake in one of the ZIP files.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-20-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #98
marshap
Enthusiast
marshap began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
JSWolf, great font. But I see ChareInkTest appears as a seperate font (in addition to the ChareInk font) on my H2O and produces a bold font. I don't know how it was serarately added to my H2O font list because I simply added the ChareInk fonts.
marshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:48 AM   #99
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The current situation is:
ChareInk-NoHinting.zip has the sources Regular, Italic, Bold and BoldItalic of ChareInk-NoWeight-NoHinting.

And ChareInk-NoWeight-NoHinting.zip has the Regular, Italic, and BoldItalic appropriate sources, and the source Bold of ChareInk with weight.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:53 AM   #100
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Duplicated with the previous post.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 07-20-2016 at 03:07 AM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:08 AM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshap View Post
JSWolf, great font. But I see ChareInkTest appears as a seperate font (in addition to the ChareInk font) on my H2O and produces a bold font. I don't know how it was serarately added to my H2O font list because I simply added the ChareInk fonts.
That was a mistake that was fixed in the latest attachment. Sorry for any inconvenience that may have caused.

Oh and speaking of Kobo, when these fonts are installed, I suggest a reboot just to be sure the system is correctly reading the fonts.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-20-2016 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:13 AM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
The current situation is:
ChareInk-NoHinting.zip has the sources Regular, Italic, Bold and BoldItalic of ChareInk-NoWeight-NoHinting.

And ChareInk-NoWeight-NoHinting.zip has the Regular, Italic, and BoldItalic appropriate sources, and the source Bold of ChareInk with weight.
ChareInk-NoHinting-NoWeight has no weight added in case anyone is using a Kobo Reader with the Advanced Font Control patch or wants to add his/her own weight. All this one has is the metrics changed and kerning added.

ChareInk-NoHinting is the same as the other but with the added weight to look good on an eInk screen.

If either is considered to be the source, it would be the NoWeight version. Once the weight is added, it cannot be removed.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:22 AM   #103
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ChareInk-NoHinting-NoWeight has no weight added in case anyone is using a Kobo Reader with the Advanced Font Control patch or wants to add his/her own weight. All this one has is the metrics changed and kerning added.

ChareInk-NoHinting is the same as the other but with the added weight to look good on an eInk screen.

If either is considered to be the source, it would be the NoWeight version. Once the weight is added, it cannot be removed.
The problem I'm seeing is that I don't see any weight added at ChareInk-NoHinting....
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:32 AM   #104
jbacelar
Interested in the matter

I think I have not explained well (because my English nefarious).
I try to do better:
1- The contents of the file ChareInk-NoHinting.zip corresponds to the content ChareInk-NoWeight-NoHinting.zip file.
2- The contents of the file ChareInk-NoWeight-NoHinting.zip is correct, except ChareInk-Bold.ttf that actually belongs to the group ChareInk-NoHinting with weight.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #105
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
New versions of the non-test ChareInk fonts to fix a problem in the name of the bold font. Sorry for the mistake. It is now fixed.

Enjoy!
Yes, there are another mistakes in both ZIP files. This is now fixed. Sorry if this caused any inconvenience.

P.S. Removed the attachments here. They are available in post #1 of this thread.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-22-2017 at 06:57 AM.