Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 02:43 AM   #16
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
Ooh, it requires usb-networking. Isn't that the hack that most often bricks kindles?
I'd say it's user's incompetency and lack of Linux literacy that often bricks kindles but that would be politically incorrect

Seriously, for a developer the usbnetwork hack is a must. But it's quite easy to make a nice update package of any application for less experienced users.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 AM   #17
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
I'd say it's user's incompetency and lack of Linux literacy that often bricks kindles but that would be politically incorrect

Seriously, for a developer the usbnetwork hack is a must. But it's quite easy to make a nice update package of any application for less experienced users.

Lol - well since I score well on both those attributes I might give this a miss.

Unless of course someone wanted to make an update package? *flutters eyelashes*
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #18
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
Running your compiled version of myts.arm on my Kindle 3 (Wifi) results in a Segmentation Fault while the original Luigi release works fine.

I was also wondering if you would be kind enough to post the link to the X patch
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #19
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast
Xqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoover View Post
Running your compiled version of myts.arm on my Kindle 3 (Wifi) results in a Segmentation Fault while the original Luigi release works fine.

I was also wondering if you would be kind enough to post the link to the X patch
Heres the patch for X:
http://code.google.com/p/savory/sour...xorg-1.6.patch

ive included the source of course, so try compiling it for yourself. I have a kindle 3g, but i cant see why it wouldnt run on your kindle if it works fine on mine. Your including the two inis correct?
Xqtftqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #20
troyme
Enthusiast
troyme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx US
waiting for the funny fbterm
troyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #21
Hato
Hato began at the beginning.

I need help on working with Rizzo's kindle standalone terminal app. I'm very noob at this, so go easy.. :( (..and I don't even think I'm at the right topic)

I followed the instructions step by step on http://tinyapps.org/docs/kindle_stan..._terminal.html and everything went fine, until I reached this:

Quote:
# Save the following script on the Kindle as /etc/init.d/kiterm
#! /bin/sh
# /etc/init.d/kiterm
case "$1" in
start)
echo "Starting kiterm "
/mnt/us/kiterm/myts.arm &
;;
stop)
echo "Stopping kiterm "
killall myts.arm
;;
*)
echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/kiterm
{start|stop}"
exit 1
;;
esac
exit 0
# Add a link in /etc/rc5.d on the Kindle so that kiterm starts automatically at boot (and late enough that the launchpad keyboard hooks register):
# ln -s /etc/init.d/kiterm /etc/rc5.d/S97kiterm
I get a return error: "/bin/sh: /etc: Permission denied" after typing: /etc/init.d. I tried /etc/init.d/kiterm and I get "/bin/sh: /etc/init.d/kiterm: not found".

I tried the fullscreen version of this. Same problem.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a key that I can use to get around this? Or am I doing everything wrong?

Last edited by Hato; 06-10-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Hato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #22
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think the description is missing that you need to "mntroot rw" (i.e. remount your root filesystem to be writable) in order to create the file with said contents.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #23
lang5535
lang5535 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
It works very well on my kindle3.
thanks a lots
lang5535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #24
lang5535
lang5535 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hato View Post
I need help on working with Rizzo's kindle standalone terminal app. I'm very noob at this, so go easy.. (..and I don't even think I'm at the right topic)

I followed the instructions step by step on http://tinyapps.org/docs/kindle_stan..._terminal.html and everything went fine, until I reached this:

I get a return error: "/bin/sh: /etc: Permission denied" after typing: /etc/init.d. I tried /etc/init.d/kiterm and I get "/bin/sh: /etc/init.d/kiterm: not found".

What am I doing wrong? Is there a key that I can use to get around this? Or am I doing everything wrong? Send me help at my email: kentallenduke@yahoo.com. Thanks!
you can make first make a kiterm file and edit it on pc.
than copy it to kindle.
when usbnetwork is on.
copy it to /etc/init.d/

I do it like this .it works well.
lang5535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #25
tomashg
tomashg began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3W
]firstly i would like to thank you for your great job, it works wonderfully on my kindle 3w.
though i don't know if it is a bug or supposed to be, but after i use any other shift and key combination if im not mistaken, the terminal will not start anymore by using shift and t.

Last edited by tomashg; 05-18-2011 at 07:48 PM.
tomashg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #26
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast
Xqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G
That error could be the incorrect keycombination thing another user posted a patch for, ive put it into my tree but i havent recompiled it yet. Ill do that sometime tonight or tomorrow (Im currently procrastinating on my homework)
Xqtftqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #27
tomashg
tomashg began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqtftqx View Post
That error could be the incorrect keycombination thing another user posted a patch for, ive put it into my tree but i havent recompiled it yet. Ill do that sometime tonight or tomorrow (Im currently procrastinating on my homework)
cheers mate! let us know so we can update on that
should be doing the same, but cant resist fidgeting around with it, currently trying out your Debian guide
tomashg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #28
Hato
Hato began at the beginning.

Could you do this on a different OS like Windows? I've been looking for instructions of how to do this on windows, can't seem to find it. Just a question.
Hato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #29
Treah
Member Retired
Treah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hato View Post
I need help on working with Rizzo's kindle standalone terminal app. I'm very noob at this, so go easy.. (..and I don't even think I'm at the right topic)

What am I doing wrong? Is there a key that I can use to get around this? Or am I doing everything wrong?

Sorry for such a late post but the solution to this problem is you need to make the script executable. Basically after you create the new script file you need to run a chmod +x on it. This step is missing from some instructions on the web.
Treah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #30
aha355
aha355 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ima gonna lose it

Starting information: using Kindle 3g 3rd gen

This is an amazing app, perfect for turning the kindle into a standalone device.

Except for one problem.

I can only get this to run if I run "# /mnt/us/kiterm/myts.arm" over SSH. As you can see this is a problem if I ever want to use the terminal apart from my home network and laptop.

I tried to fix it by uninstalling launchpad. Big surprise, I get the "U007" error and a failed update, which I had also gotten when trying to install duokan until I gave up and install over SSH. So I then decided to prevent it by starting. I backup up the launchpad files in init.d and rcS.d using winSCP. I then remounted root as read only and deleted them. After a reboot SHIFT+T still didn't bring up the terminal.

I'm getting to the point where I'll back everything up and just restore my kindle to factory default and try again.

I think it would be really cool to have a native debian install on my kindle...
aha355 is offline   Reply With Quote