Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firmware 3.19.5613 discussion

Kobo have started releasing firmware version 3.19.5613. Yes, I know, it's a strange number, but they have changed the build process are producing these numbers.

This release is for: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0.

This release is mainly fixes. The biggest is a fix for all the refresh/flashing problems that were added in firmware 3.18.0. The list of changes I know about are:
  • Fix the flashing/refresh issues that were introduced in 3.18.0. This includes the chapter start, post sleep and panning in PDF.
  • Gothic and Ryumin fonts replace with "Kobo Tsukushi Mincho" and "Kobo UD Kakugo". As far as I can tell, they are identical. The change was something to do with changing their font supplier.
  • Devices will sleep when plugged in. There were some other sleep timing issues that should be fixed.
  • Improvements to Turkish translations.
  • Japanese reading experience improvements
  • Correct book selected for "Current read" search.
  • Keyboard or web view could have been blacked out if you slept/woke the device quickly
  • Improved performance for certain books with large chapters. This is for kepubs with lots of chapters in a single internal file.
  • Other performance improvements for different formats.

The above is a mix of what Kobo told use was in the beta's and what I found during my testing. I have a long list of my "favourite" bugs that I test, and I test most of what is reported here. This means the answer to the question "Is x fixed?" is "I don't know" and probably "No".

Changes reported by others here are:
The desktop is also being updated. The version information for the firmware and desktop applications are:
  • Kobo eReaders: 3.19.5613 (2015-Dec-04, 4b76aa47bd)
  • Kobo Desktop (Win): 3.19.3619 (2015-Dec-04, 4b76aa47bd)
  • Kobo Desktop (Mac): 3.19.2305 (2015-Dec-04, 4b76aa47bd)

If you want to manually install the firmware, the download links are in the first post of the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread. And for those who like to patch the firmware, see Instructions for patching firmware 3.19.5613.

Calibre does not support this version yet, but there are no changes needed for the driver except bumping the version number. It is completely safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware version" option in the driver.

Last edited by davidfor; 12-09-2015 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Added link to patch thread
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm still on 5607
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #3
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Pinch to adjust font size on epubs has finally been fixed. unchecking it accually disables it now
Aura now refreshes every chapter again

Last edited by freekobo; 12-08-2015 at 11:45 AM.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:15 PM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The new firmware does not work with self-registered database... (The error you get is "Critical Error, Your eReader hasn't synchronized with the server yet. Any highlights, notes, or reading progress you've made on the device will be lost.".. the only option is a "Sign out" button that deletes the database.

I've had enough of Kobo for this year.. discuss amongst yourselves, back to Kindle for me.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:03 AM   #5
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Other than turning wifi off, is there a way to disable updates on the Kobo devices so that the new firmware does not download and update? I do not want to update to 3.19 until GeoffR releases his patches for it.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2015, 02:19 AM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
you could try the disable update over wifi patch, then you'd just need to manually update. It's not guaranteed to work though.

That said I wouldn't worry, most of the time OTA updates take longer to go out to folks than it takes Geoff to get the patches out.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:38 AM   #7
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
  • Kobo Desktop (Win): 3.19.3619 (2015-Dec-04, 4b76aa47bd)
  • Kobo Desktop (Mac): 3.19.2305 (2015-Dec-04, 4b76aa47bd)
The Kobo Apps page is still linked to the previous version (3.18.0).
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:44 AM   #8
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've updated the first post of the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread (this thread!).
Old 12-08-2015, 05:57 AM   #9
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The new firmware does not work with self-registered database... (The error you get is "Critical Error, Your eReader hasn't synchronized with the server yet. Any highlights, notes, or reading progress you've made on the device will be lost.".. the only option is a "Sign out" button that deletes the database.

I've had enough of Kobo for this year.. discuss amongst yourselves, back to Kindle for me.
I'm not sure that I understand what this means. Does updating the device manually still work?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:00 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I'm not sure that I understand what this means. Does updating the device manually still work?
What it means is that Kobo have fixed a bug in the firmware that allowed non-registered devices to sync with their servers. Manually installing still works.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:30 AM   #11
murg
No Comment

I'm calling this release: The Flash Sleeps With The Fishes Release.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:58 AM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I put it on my Aura HD. Nice reminder of why I use the patch! But the chapter beginning flash was really bad on that one, so I wanted to update it right away.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:12 AM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
What it means is that Kobo have fixed a bug in the firmware that allowed non-registered devices to sync with their servers. Manually installing still works.
Thanks David
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #14
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post

Isn't this the same behaviour as a Kindle? You have to register them?
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #15
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
No, Manually installing effectively bricks your device (Untill you go through the normal setup, or a new workaround is found.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware 3.19, kobo