Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 05:24 AM   #16
ayram88
ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo touch
The strange fact is that it seems to power on and off, I mean, I press it once and the led lights green, then blue, then green, green, green etc, then I press it again and it doesn't light, as if it turns off.

and, @ david_e, it doesn't seem unfair to me at all to go to the shop, because it's not normal that a device freezes or bricks while restarting after an update, whether it is sideload or not, because when the Kobo updates the firmware via wi-fi it's the same thing: it downloads the firmware in the folder and then updates, I guess.

Now I'll try to fully recharge it, as someone said.

I never charged it before, so I don't know whether the led lights or not during charge, I wouldn't recognise it charging.

Do you think they'll eventually fix it if I use my warranty?

Sorry for my bad english
Old 12-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayram88 View Post
The strange fact is that it seems to power on and off, I mean, I press it once and the led lights green, then blue, then green, green, green etc, then I press it again and it doesn't light, as if it turns off.
That does sound like it is attempting to start up. None of the factory reset options above are doing anything?
Quote:
and, @ david_e, it doesn't seem unfair to me at all to go to the shop, because it's not normal that a device freezes or bricks while restarting after an update, whether it is sideload or not, because when the Kobo updates the firmware via wi-fi it's the same thing: it downloads the firmware in the folder and then updates, I guess.

Now I'll try to fully recharge it, as someone said.

I never charged it before, so I don't know whether the led lights or not during charge, I wouldn't recognise it charging.
It shows either a green or a blue light while charging. If you haven't charged it before, do it now.
Quote:
Do you think they'll eventually fix it if I use my warranty?
It depends on the shop or Kobo. There is a reasonable chance they will exchange it.

Last edited by davidfor; 12-31-2012 at 06:09 AM. Reason: fixed quoting
Old 12-31-2012, 06:09 AM   #18
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I think Kobo Touch has at least two different hardware depending on the year they were built.

A follower of my blog sent me an email about his Kobo touch he just bought (so in december 2012) and when he connected it for the first time to Kobo desktop he was curious and checked the newest downloaded firmware :

The firmware was the same size as the kobo4 directory so it was a firmware that we think is for Glo / Mini. He also explained that his new Kobo Touch was a little faster his other one. He wouldn't enable telnet access to check /etc/procinfo though.

I think that is the reason why Kobo made so many posts explaining sideloading firmware is a bad idea : They have many different hardware to handle and u-boot and kernel could be different in each case.

@murg

I sideloaded 2.3.2 to my Touch and I've not found a single fix for a problem bugging me since 2.3.1

Last edited by vlad59; 12-31-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:18 AM   #19
ayram88
ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.ayram88 shines like a glazed doughnut.

It has benn charging for almost an hour, bur still nothing.

I tried to reset it in every possible way, but nothing has happened yet.

I think it's dead
Old 12-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #20
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad59 View Post
The firmware was the same size as the kobo4 directory so it was a firmware that we think is for Glo / Mini.
If this is really so, then this is going to make things much more complicated.

Quote:
@murg

I sideloaded 2.3.2 to my Touch and I've not found a single fix for a problem bugging me since 2.3.1
If Kobo has followed their standard M.O., then 2.3.2 is a quick fix of 2.3.1, fixing only showstopper bugs. I wouldn't expect it to fix the ordinary, standard, run of the mill bugs that we've all come to know and love.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
If Kobo has followed their standard M.O., then 2.3.2 is a quick fix of 2.3.1, fixing only showstopper bugs. I wouldn't expect it to fix the ordinary, standard, run of the mill bugs that we've all come to know and love.
Or it's just a way to give book statistics (main feature of 2.3.1) to Japanese people who were stuck on 2.2.1. I'm not sure if 2.3.1 was released also in Japan.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
If this is really so, then this is going to make things much more complicated.

This is purely conjecture. But if it were the case that Kobo changed the hardware without an obvious model number change, then I feel no sympathy for whatever extra returns they might get by people bricking their devices, even though firmwrae sideloading is a little off reservation. (Whatever happened to the tech of the first generatoin kobo's.. as I recall, those were able to boot from SD card. Seems like a sensible failsafe to build into a device, no?)
Old 12-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #23
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayram88 View Post
I think it's dead
I picked up a Touch for fun a few days ago. Got home, started the update - hung at restarting. Tried everything mentioned on the net, the same stuff mentioned in here. Eventually opened it and checked out the sd card, there were some ext fs errors which I fixed. Still didn't bring it back to life.

After a day of fixing it, I just put it back together and took it back to the shop for replacement. Got home with the new one, first thing I did was pop open the unit and clone the sd card, then continued as I had the first time. Updated fine and everything went smoothly.

So, I'd just get it replaced. Terrible experience to have tho. A bit worrying that they are managing to break the factory restore stuff with an update.

Edit : If you arnt able to restore it, I can upload the image which you could use to restore from; but it's a last resort. I'm not doing that for fun.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #24
vlad59
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
This is purely conjecture. But if it were the case that Kobo changed the hardware without an obvious model number change, then I feel no sympathy for whatever extra returns they might get by people bricking their devices, even though firmwrae sideloading is a little off reservation. (Whatever happened to the tech of the first generatoin kobo's.. as I recall, those were able to boot from SD card. Seems like a sensible failsafe to build into a device, no?)
They did change model number as the automatic update picked the good update ... it's only when you sideload an update that you can brick your device.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:00 AM   #25
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
They did change model number as the automatic update picked the good update ... it's only when you sideload an update that you can brick your device.
Didn't sideload the update here, bricked on the reboot screen. Even if it were a problem of hardware revisions, surely their update mechanism would do a device side check?. Then again, since they did seem to break the filesystems and it seems, modify the factory/recovery partition, I'm not so certain their updating practices are all that good :/
Old 01-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #26
ayram88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Didn't sideload the update here, bricked on the reboot screen. Even if it were a problem of hardware revisions, surely their update mechanism would do a device side check?. Then again, since they did seem to break the filesystems and it seems, modify the factory/recovery partition, I'm not so certain their updating practices are all that good :/
If you're really claiming that the same freeze on the restart screen took place while updating in the "right" way, then the implications are huge.

They should revise the whole updating system, and all the related stuff.

I also thought of opening it and chance the sd, but your experience suggests me that the only thing left to do is to replace the Kobo or send it to the customer care or something.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #27
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you really confirm that you opened and found an SD card in a Touch? Up until now, the internal SD card was a Glo only perk. Can you provide pictures of a "Touch" with interal SD Card?

The EXT errors would indicate that the memory card was faulty, or some other low level hardware fault was a play. This bricking (and possibly the other reported bricking) is not the result of wrong firmware file.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
This is what happens when you don't have an open beta.

If Kobo had an open beta, or let you specify that you wanted the latest firmware, the automatic processes would deal with the installation of the firmware, rather than having people sideload firmware.

There should be nothing in the 'japan' releases that harms any device, worldwide. Hopefully Kobo has learned the lesson from the Australian Touches and is handling the regionalisation of the devices outside of the devices. After all, Kobo should know from the serial number where the device was distributed to.

And, why should the Japanese devices get the latest bug fix release, but not the rest of the world?
Sorry to disagree but I've been in open betas for various bits of software. My experience is that those open betas didn't add much in the way of improvements over closed betas.

As for the Japanese bug fix release, it may be fixing a bug that only affects Japanese ebooks where a yokogaki (left to right, top to bottom) book was fine but a tategaki (top to bottom, right to left) book had issues. A show stopper if you are reading tategaki books but a non-issue for the rest of world.

Take a look at Microsoft's hot fixes for a shopping list of "don't apply this hot fix unless you are experiencing the problem" items. Going back a lot of years, I remember filing an APAR for a bug in Lotus 1-2-3 that only showed up when you used a odd resolution on a Hercules graphics card equipped PC. Of course, the accounting department had to use that resolution for reasons that escaped me at the time and still do.

I would prefer if Kobo had more beta testers who operated their readers in less than standard ways. Someone like myself who tends to do as much as possible formatting on the computer and leaves the reader controls alone is not a great candidate for finding many of the bugs that come out when the reader controls are played with. The type of user who like using different fonts, margin widths, etc.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 01-01-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Fat fingered typos -- what else is old.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #29
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Can you really confirm that you opened and found an SD card in a Touch? Up until now, the internal SD card was a Glo only perk. Can you provide pictures of a "Touch" with interal SD Card?
My Touch had a removable MicroSD card on the board.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #30
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
My Touch had a removable MicroSD card on the board.
since I obviously know nothing about current Touch hardware, I'll gracefully (or, at least as much as I can with my foot so far in) bow out. The good news, however, anyone who might have bricked their touch, if it's so equipped, should be able to recover the device, eving if some technical help might be required.
Closed Thread