Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 04:15 PM   #16
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks wizwor. ICS looks pretty good. I'm surprised it's working as well as it is already.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
ICS on a Fire
This is a very mature development version. I think it is interesting that the Fire is 1) targeted, and 2) malleable. I'm not very interested in rooting my Fire -- Amazon has made it very easy for technical people to bend and stretch their tablet. Still, I can imagine that Amazon is looking at ICS on the Fire and I suspect we will see a lot of value add there. I'd love to see the carousel area replaced with a gadgets area.
Time will tell. Barnes and Noble appeared to be embracing rooters but then they took measures to make rooting more difficult. Whether or not Amazon follows suit (and makes changes to subsequent firmware updates less rooting friendly) depends upon their business model and agreements with content providers.

Rather than acting out of any malice, B&N may have been contractually obligated to take action to make their devices more difficult to root.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #18
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I think Amazon says, "hey, we sold 5,000,000 of these things. If 10,000 people want to use it to run ICS, we're good." You keep the number of rooters low by maintaining a really good alternative. With updates coming in the first month, Amazon seems to be committed to maintaining a really good alternative.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote