Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Anybody try a book download via 1xRTT?

Hi:

Has anybody yet tried a book download via 1xRTT in an area w/o EVDO access?

If so, how long did it take and were there any problems?

I would be curious to know how usable the 1xRTT is as we are out of the EVDO area at home. I know one can always use the web and USB but it would be nice to know if I should even attempt to use the wireless outside of an EVDO area when mine comes on Monday.

Thanks
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
At work mine falls back to 1xRTT in certain places in the office. When I first got it at least, I could not do web browsing when it was in 1xRTT ("failed to connect"). I did not try accessing the store or downloading from it, and I have not tried since to see if perhaps it was a "provisioning" issue where the older network hadn't fully registered the device or something.

Book downloads are only 1MB or so and I doubt that you'd notice much difference in 1xRTT for that. Web browsing would probably be noticeably slower and supposedly 1xRTT eats through the batteries faster.

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote