Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
hannahi
Addict
hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Google Nexus phone, Sony PRS-300
Want to upgrade from 1st gen Kindle Paperwhite

I've had a Paperwhite for almost 5 years, since the first generation version was released. I'd like to upgrade to either a Voyage or the latest generation PW while the devices are on sale for Mothers' Day. My older device feels clunky especially when I load too many books at once. What appeals to me the most about the PW is that it comes in white (unlike the Voyage). That reminds me of my original Kindle 2, and I felt like the lighter color helped the device "disappear" in your hand. On the other hand I'd prefer physical page turn buttons such as those on the Voyage. In either case I'd buy the 3G version because I like having the ability to sync and shop anywhere. Do you think I'll be satisfied with the Paperwhite or is the Voyage that much better?
hannahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Why not get the Voyage and a white skin? (I assume you can get a white skin.) It adds to the cost, but if it gives you the device you really want, and given how much mileage you got out of your PW, why not?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
FYI, Decal Girl has 25% off on skins for Mother's Day with the code MOM25 right now if you decide to take issybird's suggestion.

https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/amaz...e-voyage-skins
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have all three Paperwhite models and a Voyage. At first I used the Voyage most of the time and then now and then used the others, but lately I've found that I don't really care which one I use. Well, I do use the 1st gen Paperwhite a bit less because it's slower.

I'm reading my current book on the Paperwhite 2. I read the previous book on a Kobo Aura. More and more I'm finding I don't care which reader I use.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Here's a link to a white skin at decal girl:

https://www.decalgirl.com/artwork/428/solid-state-white
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
A lot of people don't like the Voyage's pseudo-buttons. Try it in-store first.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I have both Voyage and the newest Paperwhite. I bought the Paperwhite first, but found I was not using it very much. The Voyage went on sale, I got that and I'm doing 80-90% of my reading on it. The display is that much better to me (especially the fact it is not recessed, so the bezel does not catch crud). The buttons are not great but I appreciate having them.

I also have the non-frontlit Kindle (8th gen). It's quite pleasant in good light, and weighs less than Paperwhite or Voyage.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Does not matter, if you can read well and your comfortable ... You hit it!
I think the bigger the book is the less you turn the page and the more you can focus on reading.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahi View Post
Do you think I'll be satisfied with the Paperwhite or is the Voyage that much better?
Yes, it is. Get the Voyage.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I had a PW2 (gave it to a friend) and a Voyage. I for one really like the Voyage's haptic page turn buttons. I actually prefer those over physical buttons. I'd personally go for the Voyage--for the buttons alone.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I had a PW2 (gave it to a friend) and a Voyage. I for one really like the Voyage's haptic page turn buttons. I actually prefer those over physical buttons. I'd personally go for the Voyage--for the buttons alone.
I like them, too. I wish my Kobo H2O had those buttons.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #12
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have all three Paperwhites and a Voyage. I read on all of them and I do prefer the Voyage but not by much. I'm reading my current book on a Paperwhite 2 and it's just fine.

I'm not planning to get another Kindle soon, unless a new one comes along, but if I do it's going to be a hard choice. The size of the Voyage makes it easier to hold but when I'm reading I really don't notice the difference. I notice it when I'm comparing and sometimes just as I begin reading. Then it's the book and the device, as Bezos says, disappears.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote