Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
iBurger2
iBurger2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2nd g
Kobo Aura One (with Koreader) or iPad Air 2 for academic articles

Dear community,

I am reading a lot of academic PDF articles for my studies now. And I think I want to move my reading away from my screen devices towards a real tablet. I currently own a 27" Dell IPS and a 13" Macbook. I would like to get something that reduces the strain on my eyes.

So far I have narrowed down my options two very distinct devices. 1) The Kobo Aura One, with Koreader installed for better PDF support, and 2) the iPad Air 2 which has a retina screen. The iPad also have an app for Zotero, which is a popular tool for managing academic pdfs on your computer. It syncs wirelessly, and is the go to solution for this task.

I tend to read academic pdfs quickly. I skim them. However, when they are interesting, I will read them more deeply. Because of my reading style, I think that the iPad Air 2 is a better choice. I can buy them (used) for about $300 usd (or 275 euro). The Kobo Aura One is priced at 219 euro and is a lot cheaper, has a smaller screen, but it has e-ink technology!

The experts must be here at this forum, and I think you guys probably own both devices. (iPad and Kobo Aura One).

So I wonder, iPad or Kobo A1 for academic pdfs?

https://www.zotero.org/
iBurger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The iPad is a much better choice for PDF. PDF and eInk don't really go well together. The best app for PDF for your iPad is Goodreader. It's not free, but it's not expensive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #3
iBurger2

Interesting! - And you still think that is true, after installing Koreader on the Kobo Aura One?

Last edited by iBurger2; 05-16-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I would go with the iPad.
Jon is 100% correct.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:17 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iPad would be a far better choice. It's what I use myself for reading PDFs and it works well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
iBurger2

Thanks for the response guys! This is also my guess.

Still it would be interesting to hear from one of the Kobo Aura One owners. (part. if you use koreader).
Old 05-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBurger2 View Post
Thanks for the response guys! This is also my guess.

Still it would be interesting to hear from one of the Kobo Aura One owners. (part. if you use koreader).
There was one post over in the Kobo forum. Even that person agreed that it was not great for pdfs.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Koreader is good for PDF. But the iPad is better especially using the Goodreader app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, GoodReader is the "killer" PDF app, especially for academic use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
iBurger2

Hey fellas, thanks for all the good advice. I am now the proud owner of an iPad Air!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4101.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	156808  
Old 05-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Enjoy it.