Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #1
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
TOO SLOW to open "Table of Contents"

I received my Reader last week and in love with it. It is not a perfect device as everybody knows. But with the hacks and other tricks people posted here, it has become a very useful device for reading books.

However, one thing is driving me crazy. It takes forever to open TOC if you have a little bit more items. I have a book with 82-item TOC, and it takes 5 minutes to open the TOC.

I wouldn't be so mad if this happens only the first time you open it just as you open a new book on memory card and it takes a bit time to do the formatting. It happens EVERY TIME I open the TOC. It seems no caching is done for TOC. After you open a page from TOC and then press Menu to go back to it, it takes another 5 minutes to display the TOC.

And worse, there is no way to get out of the wait (excluding a pin reset). You can only sit there to watch a frozen screen.

This is an area I found that a paper book can handle 100 times faster than the reader. Without TOC navigation, reading is not as enjoyable since you can't jump around.

<end of rant>
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
That's not normal. What book is it and what format?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I found that after reading and navigating a lot, my reader became sluggish too. But after the firmware update it became fast again... could be that the data for history, bookmarks and toc makes things slower and slower.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
mdhuang
Bookworm

It is a book generated from html by html2lrf (part of libprs500).

Operation Guide: 10 item TOC, 8 seconds
Book 1 (html2lrf): 19 item TOC, 13 seconds.
Book 2 (html2lrf): 33 item TOC, 17 seconds.
Book 3 (html2lrf): 56 item TOC, 1 min 6 seconds.
Book 4 (html2lrf): 82 item TOC, 4 min 5 seconds.

I don't have other books with a long TOC which is not generated by html2lrf. Maybe somebody can post some timing numbers here.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
I just opened Dr. Thorndyke Omnibus, downloaded from here (formatted by HarryT, I believe): 78 item TOC, 1 or 2 seconds.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
I just opened Dr. Thorndyke Omnibus, downloaded from here (formatted by HarryT, I believe): 78 item TOC, 1 or 2 seconds.
Here is the link, if you want to give it a try: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11764

Sorry, I was trying to edit my previous post.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a book I've converted from LIT to LRF using Book Designer that has 47 entries.

It takes me between 1-3 seconds to bring up the ToC. I have the newest firmware and a bunch of hacks installed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:08 AM   #8
mdhuang
Bookworm

Quote:
Hmmm. I downloaded v1 and it has 64 TOC items. It took only a second to open it. Seems that html2lrf generated books may have some issues with TOC...

I may need to play with some of the html2lrf options when I have time to see if it can be improved.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhuang View Post
Hmmm. I downloaded v1 and it has 64 TOC items. It took only a second to open it. Seems that html2lrf generated books may have some issues with TOC...

I may need to play with some of the html2lrf options when I have time to see if it can be improved.
Tonight or tomorrow I'll try to convert that LIT to LRF using LIT2LRF and see how the ToC opens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #10
Andanzas
Out of print

Quote:
Hmmm. I downloaded v1 and it has 64 TOC items.
Mine has 78 because it's an older version. Good to know, because I thought it was the newest one.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:

I haven't had any problems with this. But please note: If you are converting Baen books you really really want to use the --baen switch on html2lrf! The reason is that the Baen html files include an anchor for each paragraph in the book. Html2lrf faithfully converts these into anchors for in the lrf file. The Reader is then super-slow on any action that uses links in that file. It even gets slow on page-turns if the book is large enough.

The --baen switch strips these extra anchors from the html before (or maybe during) the conversion. Kovid added that switch for me a couple months ago to make the converter useful on Baen content.

Xenophon

P.S. The 'extra' anchors aren't useless, by the way. If you are reading in a browser in framed mode, they give you a sequential paragraph number as you mouse over text. This is a GOOD THING (tm) when reporting typos and bugs in the book. It's just that it is useless on the Reader.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Mine has 78 because it's an older version. Good to know, because I thought it was the newest one.
I re-issued all the volumes with the books arranged in chronological order .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #13
jmorton
Connoisseur
jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I have noticed that with the emagazines I purchased from Fictionwise (Asimov's SF and Analog) it takes forever to open the Table of Contents using the Table of Contents button in the menu. The first time I tried it I thought the Reader had locked up. Conversely, if you use the table contents links that are included within the document there is no problem.
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:04 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Fictionwise use "html2lrf" too. Perhaps it's something that that tool does that makes it slow? All the TOCs I've created with BD open instantly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:36 AM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It isn't the number of links in the TOC alone that determined load time. It's the structure of the book as well. What happens when you open the TOC is that the reader software calculates the page number of the destination of every link. If the book has too few page-breaks/too complex a block level structure, this operation takes too long.

This is just bad design on SONY's part, they should really be doing that calculation when a link is activated.

LRF files created by html2lrf are much more complex than those created by BookDesigner, since html2lrf supports a whole bunch of block level formatting that BookDesigner doesn't.

One technique that may speed up loading of the TOC is to increase the number of page-breaks. You can generate an LRS file with the --lrs option and count the number of Page elements to see how many page breaks the LRF file has.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote