Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
shmish
shmish began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Adobe Digital Editions, Reader Library or both?

Can I use just one of the two software programs for managing my eReader library? I bought a couple of books from the Sony bookstore so those books are in the Reader Library. But I'll also have some books in the Adobe Library. I'd prefer to use just one to control the ebooks. One software, one folder structure for backing up the books on the computer.

thanks
shmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmish View Post
Can I use just one of the two software programs for managing my eReader library? I bought a couple of books from the Sony bookstore so those books are in the Reader Library. But I'll also have some books in the Adobe Library. I'd prefer to use just one to control the ebooks. One software, one folder structure for backing up the books on the computer.

thanks
I'm only using Sony's library software, to automatically sync all my books to my readers. Even has the advantage to add books by file date (=date of purchase).
---> You don't have to use both.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
mgmueller- Don't you really have to use both in a way since most books require use of ADE due to DRM anyway? I wish I could do away with ADE altogether since I have had nothing but trouble with the program :/
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i only installed and ran ADE once to set up and authorize my 600. since then i can download adept protected books from my local library, import them into sony's reader library and save them to my 600. i haven't had any need to relaunch ADE.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wonder what would happen if you uninstalled ADE? Even though you haven't had to run it, it might be necessary for it to be installed. Also, I wonder if ADE runs in the background on startup. Sony, as well as Adobe and Apple, are very bad about having their software/services startup with the computer. I know the Reader Library is set up to run services when you start your computer.

Back to the original question. If you want to use certain Python scripts to strip off the ADE DRM you will need to have ADE installed, at least initially.
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
jagfan
jagfan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I may not understand the OP, but are there 2 separate libraries: one Sony and one ADE?

I am new to ereaders and just rec'd my 300 on Monday. After reading many negative comments, I was a bit leary about installing the software Happily, the install was flawless and the ADE was integrated in the Sony software - version 3.1. After the install I purchased a book from the Sony store and one from Kobo's. No problems downloading. They went directly into the library and I dragged the books into my reader. The whole process was simple and painless.
jagfan is offline   Reply With Quote