Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #76
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
removed - redundant

Last edited by Leep; 10-06-2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: redundant
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #77
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Is it legal for somebody to add my PID to their online library to let me read books? Because I really want books from the Cleveland library!!
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 02:24 AM   #78
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
GatorDeb--You might want to check out the New York Public Library. They offer quite a selection of Adobe and Mobipocket e-books. If you're not a resident of NY, you can still get a library card by paying a $100 fee. (That's what I did.)

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:37 AM   #79
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

The NYPL just cashed my check the day before yesterday I forgot to call them yesterday and will call them today, I want to know if they can give me the info over the phone so that I don't have to wait for the card. It took from Sept 29th to Oct 14th for them to receive and cash the check, and mail doesn't take that long!
Old 10-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #80
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
The NYPL just cashed my check the day before yesterday I forgot to call them yesterday and will call them today, I want to know if they can give me the info over the phone so that I don't have to wait for the card. It took from Sept 29th to Oct 14th for them to receive and cash the check, and mail doesn't take that long!

Please keep this post updated, and let all us know if you think your $100 was well spent. Did they have all the newest books in? Did you have to wait and wait, or did they have plenty of each copy available? Thanks!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #81
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Desertgrandma--

You can check out NYPL's selection for yourself at:

http://ebooks.nypl.org/AF92303A-7688...en/Default.htm

For my reading interests, they have a great selection of Adobe Digital Editions; Mobipocket books, and Audio books for download. I feel my money was well spent. even though I have access to my local library's (Sacramento, CA) collection, it's no where near as extensive as NYPL's.

Regarding wait times, I have had to wait for a few books, but not too long so far.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #82
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Thanks, dordale, I did just that and found (Yea!)5 pages of Agatha Christie in mobipocket format. That was enough to get me interested........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
JSWolf

At the technically level and in the case of Mobipocket eBooks you got from the library (or bought), you can lend them to a friend or family person - just register their PID reader in the place you are downloading the eBooks from (library, bookshop), before you download them.

Restrictions: you can register just 4 PID’s at one time.
Positive: you can change them any time.

Bets regards,
But from a legal standpoint, is it legal to do so for the non-library member? I have taken out books before for others who did not have a library card. That I know is not an issue. I just don't know if eBooks would be ok to do so as long as my PID was there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Thanks, dordale, I did just that and found (Yea!)5 pages of Agatha Christie in mobipocket format. That was enough to get me interested........
What you can also do is request for them to get things you want in the format you want. Now I cannot guarantee they will, but they might. I just got 4 eBooks from my library that I requested.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If it is legal, how about we books share? I have access to two libraries.

Boston Public Library
http://overdrive.bpl.org/

Washington D.C. Public Library
http://overdrive.dclibrary.org/
Old 10-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #86
GatorDeb
Evangelist

For some reason my DC library account stated my privileges had expired (and I've only had it less than 2 months) so I called and they renewed it for me, even after telling the live person I don't live there and I applied online. She said it will expire in three years now that she manually renewed it.

So I have access to Las Vegas-Clark County, New York Library, and DC Library. I want to make sure it's legal before we do this though. How would this work, though? You'd have to add the person's PID to your account and then call to take it off, you could only have 2-3 more people...

Last edited by GatorDeb; 10-17-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:32 PM   #87
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Pity overseas readers can't register to all those libraries
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #88
ejereader
ejereader began at the beginning.

Device: 505
When I first began downloading books form a public library I had no problem. However, recently, I have to authorize the Adobe Digital Edition required EVERY TIME, or worse, have to upgrade, even though I have the most up to date version.

Secondly, and perhaps even more important, I no longer can download at all. The book does appear to download, but inevitably I get an error message.

When I used the help at Adobe, they actually told me to update the software! Since this is a constant it did not work

Any ideas?
Any alternatives to Adobe Digital Editions that will work with the library ebooks?

ej
ejereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #89
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Libraries which participate all do so via the "overdrive" system, which offers both ADE and Mobipocket.

This post is subject correction and amplification, as I'm not sure ALL use overdrive, and suspect that all titles are not available in both formats. My point though being, if ADE doesn't work for you, then check out Mobi formatted titles instead.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #90
ejereader
ejereader began at the beginning.

Device: 505
I have a Sony 505. When I first began downloading books form a public library, using Adobe Digital Editions, I had no problem. However, recently, I have to authorize the Adobe Digital Edition required EVERY TIME, or worse, have to upgrade, even though I have the most up to date version.

Secondly, and perhaps even more important, I no longer can download at all. The book does appear to download, but inevitably I get an error message.

When I used the help at Adobe, they actually told me to update the software! Since this is a constant it did not work

Any ideas?
Any alternatives to Adobe Digital Editions that will work with the library ebooks and transfer to my 505?

ej
ejereader is offline   Reply With Quote