Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would like to see this app with such functionality coming to life?
Yes, I would love to! I am happy to pay for it too. 1 25.00%
Yes, I would love to! However, I don't think I would pay for it. 0 0%
Not sure, maybe if its out there... 1 25.00%
I think its a waste of time and would not care as its such a tiny change. 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
bernard9k
bernard9k began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung S5
Arrow Audio book reading experience improvement idea

Hi,

This is going to be an enquiry for the future idea which I have, I have been listening to lots of audio books recently and I find it very annoying when I miss a thing, that I have to take my phone out of my pocket, unlock, open the app bar to skip back 30s, skip forward 30s or double the speed for speed reading, equally to slow down back to 1x speed again, every time I want to make a change I must take my phone out of my pocket, unlock it, open the app and thats a waste of time... Do you feel the same?

Imagine if you could skip forward by clicking increase volume button up +, skip backwards 30s by clicking lower volume button -, and double the speed 2x by double clicking the headphones middle button, also to double click to slow down back to 1x speed again. Single click would pause/play your favourite book again.

You could control your audio books without touching your screen, unlocking and opening an app... This air control would allow you to have a hands free listening.

Question 1: Do you think you would appreciate / use such function or is it not worth it?

Question 2: Would you pay 1-3£ for such application which would enable a functionality like this?

Question 3: You feel like its a waste of time or you feel like its a good idea?

Thank you for taking the time to respond, let me know how you feel about it.
bernard9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I can't say that I've ever wanted that feature. I mostly listen to audiobooks in my car when I can't mess around with my iPhone while driving.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Listen Audiobook Player has configurable actions for clicks, and multiple-clicks, of the headphone buttons that accomplishes everything you describe.

It's not a feature I've used much, personally, but it wouldn't be there if someone didn't get use out of it, I suppose.

Are you thinking of making a player app with these features, or are you thinking of making a utility services that intercepts the buttons and enables these feature in any app?

If you're thinking of making a player app, you'll need to worry about a lot more than this one feature to make it at all competitive, but good luck. It's always nice to have options.

If you're thinking of making an enabling utility, I can see how that might be interesting. (Though I'm not sure how it could be possible....)

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 05-27-2016 at 01:45 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
bernard9k
bernard9k began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung S5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Listen Audiobook Player has configurable actions for clicks, and multiple-clicks, of the headphone buttons that accomplishes everything you describe.

It's not a feature I've used much, personally, but it wouldn't be there if someone didn't get use out of it, I suppose.

Are you thinking of making a player app with these features, or are you thinking of making a utility services that intercepts the buttons and enables these feature in any app?

If you're thinking of making a player app, you'll need to worry about a lot more than this one feature to make it at all competitive, but good luck. It's always nice to have options.

If you're thinking of making an enabling utility, I can see how that might be interesting. (Though I'm not sure how it could be possible....)

ApK
Hi, Thank you for your input here. I really appreciate your feedback as it helps me to determine whether I should pursue the idea.

Yes, I was considering making a utility which would enable such functions across all related apps, so it would be controlling Audible, Kindle, Smart Audio book player or pretty much anything else out there...

That being said, I have received a lot of feedback on the different forum and quiet a few people didn't find it very interesting...

I may consider pursuing another idea as this one would definitely come out rather costly.

Also, there is a proprietorship issue when it comes to controlling different apps and I may not be able to achieve that at all if developers would not reveal their source code to me...

Unless this is a ground breaking idea, which at the beginning I thought it was. Then it could be worth striving for, but now I start to think that it may not work out...

How do you feel? Does it sound compelling to you or more like a long shot in the wild? Thank you once again!
bernard9k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobook, functionality, improvement, reader