Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Ebook in PRC format will not convert to any other format

I purchased a book that is only available in PRC format and when I tried to convert it to EPUB, I got everything up to chapter one. The actual book itself is not there. I tried a number of formats with the same result. I've purchased many books from this small independent company and never had a problem converting before.

I contacted the owner and they had this issue reported by others also trying to convert to a different format. She said they had a computer crash and had to reload lots of software and that perhaps there was a software problem. She republished/recreated the book and sent me another copy to test it for her since they don't want the book locked down like this. Same result. No actual book.

I also tried to download the original PRC file to my IPad and IPhone using Bookshelf LT and got an error that there is a problem with the index (whatever that means).

If anyone knows how to check the book file and can figure out the cause, I can send you the file. Just PM me. I know the owner would like to find the problem and a solution.

Thanks for your help!
Katelyn

It didn't take long after I posted to realize that even though the publisher says the book is not supposed to be locked, it has to be DRMed. I've been trying to use mobidedrm in Calibre to de-drm but so far, no luck. I'll keep experimenting.

Last edited by Katelyn; 10-01-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote