Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
This is why I finally gave up on my Kobo H20. I've lost count of the times i've had to do a factory reset. Sticking with Kindles now.
What are you doing with your H2O? Are you not ejecting it properly? I've had once since around Thanksgiving of the year they first came out and I've never had to factory reset.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #32
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
One thing that I notice while browsing through a small selection of those position descriptions:
Most of them require one less degree level than I would normally expect from the job description (and yes, I have hired a few people back in my days of having a day job).
I.E: They are willing to hire MS for work at the PhD level. (and we sometimes wonder how they could screw-up in some of the ways that they have in the past).
I have never even heard of a software development job outside the scientific data-processing domain in which degrees were actually necessary: at most they're used as filters to arbitrarily reduce the number of applicants. Many of the best software developers I have ever met (including several on whose work the proper functioning of your system, if it is Android, Linux or Mac, is utterly reliant) only have BSc-level, Masters, or completely irrelevant doctorates (classics, philosophy). Several didn't go to university at all. (I'm sure the same is true of Microsoft's developers too, I just don't move in those circles.)

Fundamentally, we don't know how to teach people to program, so degrees don't really help much: what matters is interest/self-direction, the ability to "think like a computer", and the ability to grasp a few simple but counterintuitive concepts (assignment, formal versus actual names for things, pointers): degree courses mostly don't teach the latter even though research shows that it is one of the largest sources of confusion among people newly exposed to programming, and one that if you get it wrong is unlikely to get fixed on its own.

And perhaps one more thing: the one common factor I can think of between the aforementioned best programmers is that they all started programming before they were ten (a strong flag of innate interest and a good way to build up a lot of experience before you hit the workforce).

Things like the ability to write maintainable code, core skills like functional decomposition, and familiarity with things like time and space complexity will come with experience: things like complexity do require you to have the interest levels to seek them out (possibly by doing the rough equivalent of parts of degree courses on your own, online!) but things like functional decomposition have been independently reinvented by almost everyone I know who started programming before the Internet let them look it up as easily as breathing. We all thought it was obvious after-the-fact

It would be nice if degrees actually predicted someone's programming skill. They really, really don't.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2017, 04:29 PM   #33
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What are you doing with your H2O? Are you not ejecting it properly? I've had once since around Thanksgiving of the year they first came out and I've never had to factory reset.
I always eject it via Calibre. I've had nothing but trouble connecting it to Calibre for months now. The connect screen flashes on and off most of the time, that's if Calibre even sees it, 50% of the time it doesn't. This is on two windows 7 PCs, 1 windows 10 PC and a Mac, using multiple USB leads.

In the end I factory reset it again and when Calibre saw both the kobo and the SD card I sent all my fan fiction to it. It's now basicly a storage device. I can't sell it as I honestly think the USB port is faulty.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:11 PM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
More likely either a bad USB cable or a "Power Only" USB cable or your trying to use a USB-3 port.

Find a cable that works.
Mark it (piece of tape on it?) - use only that, use only on USB-2 type ports, keep notes on when/if the problem returns.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #35
BHO777
BHO777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
8gb is fine for me. 32 gb is overkill - for a kindle. I love reading on my kindle voyage but push come to shove I'd be fine using my phone or tablet too. E-ink is kinder to my eyes though and I like being able to use it outside. But even that is changing depending on the device. Some devices have night mode some have a blue light filter. I can see why Amazon might be shooting for the moon with the higher end devices from a marketing standpoint. Users of lower end devices MIGHT be happy with their phones & tablets without adding another device. Customers that want the higher end kindles tend to have higher disposable income as well.
BHO777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2017, 07:15 AM   #36
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
More likely either a bad USB cable or a "Power Only" USB cable or your trying to use a USB-3 port.

Find a cable that works.
Mark it (piece of tape on it?) - use only that, use only on USB-2 type ports, keep notes on when/if the problem returns.
Thank you, I'll remember that when I pick it up again, but tbh I've had enough of Kobo now.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:21 AM   #37
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:

Why not just take a quick shower and then go read? Reading while sitting in dirty water is no my idea of fun.
I was just going to say basically the same thing. I have never gotten an e-reader wet. If I read outside and it starts raining I close my cover and go inside. I don't read in the tub because I take showers but if I did take a bath why would I want to read floating around in dirty water, and naked??? These are reasons why I think waterproof e-readers are not necessary for me. Cellphones would probably be the only device I use that I would like to be waterproof and rugged. They are used constantly and in all environments.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #38
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
what do you guys think?

never really tried audible on an e reader so not sure if i will need 32gb
i have listened to audio books in the car via mp3 but prefer reading myself...

will they reduce for black friday and also that kind of falls under the 30 amazon return policy so i could re-order if the price drops or ask for the difference?
Depends how long you will keep the e-reader. If you are like many here and have to upgrade to a new device every year....than save your 30 bucks because you wouldn't even fill 8gb in a year time. If you plan on keeping the device for a few years and use it exclusively and are gonna put a ton of audio books on it get the 32 gb. If you are not gonna use it for audiobooks 8gb should be more than you will ever need.

As for a sale price. Probably not till next year.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #39
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I was just going to say basically the same thing. I have never gotten an e-reader wet. If I read outside and it starts raining I close my cover and go inside. I don't read in the tub because I take showers but if I did take a bath why would I want to read floating around in dirty water, and naked??? These are reasons why I think waterproof e-readers are not necessary for me. Cellphones would probably be the only device I use that I would like to be waterproof and rugged. They are used constantly and in all environments.
You are both obviously men.

The pleasure of soaking in a scented bubble bath with candles and a good book - I pity you that you know not this pleasure.

Last edited by pendragginp; 10-17-2017 at 08:47 PM.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #40
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:

Find a cable that works.
Emphasis added by me. Why only USB-2 type ports? I thought the USB-3 ports were backwards compatible.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #41
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Emphasis added by me. Why only USB-2 type ports? I thought the USB-3 ports were backwards compatible.
The standards are.
Not all of the chip implementation are.

It was a big upheaval in the semiconductor world, somebody (or somebodies) manufactured and shipped millions of chips that had design problems.
The most widely known manufacture that ended up with them being used in production items before the problem was detected was Apple.
Buy many manufacturers used them in production items before they where recalled.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
They usually are. I did encounter a situation where a particular older Kindle would not charge properly from a USB-3 port, when everything else would. I tried another cable/charger and that worked. But I didn’t bother to troubleshoot it further, so it could have been something else (like a funky contact between that Kindle and that cable).

‘Try a different port’, ‘try a different cable’ are not guaranteed to work or identify the problem but they help often enough to be worth trying.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #43
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Has anyone ever filled up their 4GB Kindles with ebooks? Does it really bog down? Wouldn't 8GB or 32GB filled with books be crazy slow?
My pw2 is so full I had to remove some books to do an update. I haven't noticed any difference in performance. I got the 8 gb oasis because of the increased ppi
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:54 PM   #44
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In all the years I've been using Kindles, I've never once had to do a reset. A factory reset should really be the last resort in problem solving, rather than the first step!
I also do a factory reset on all my Kindles and other ereaders at least once a year, not because I have problems but to avoid problems. And I don't have problems.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #45
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:

Why not just take a quick shower and then go read? Reading while sitting in dirty water is no my idea of fun.
Maybe they bathe more often than you do, Jon.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote