Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #46
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Don't think that you can still open it from your reader once your return it. However, we have had some books on our ereaders not expire until we actually hooked back up to the computer or Whispernet, so maybe it will remain live on your reader until you connect to ADE again.

cheers
I can still open it. You probably right about connecting to the computer (ADE software) before that happens. It's still counting down the days on the reader.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #47
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Here's another example.

I digitally transfer $1000 from my savings account to my checking account. I go online and spend $10,000 because that $1000 is just digital... it can certainly be copied very easily and I just spent the digital copy 10 times. Why is that a problem? This is the digital releam... it should be easy just to copy the money and send it to the 10 vendors... no?

Also, for some reason $1000 was deducted from my savings account. Does that make sense... I just wanted to copy $1000 of the digital money in my savings account to my checking... I didn't want to delete the $1000 digital from my savings. This is just NOT right.

BOb
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:10 AM   #48
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Gosh... I just discovered that the Swedish Libraries have quite an extensive collection of e-books in Swedish that is available in mobi and PDF.

Dang, I need to go down to my local library and take out a loan card, which by the way is free over here. Weeeee! Free e-Books, this is so cool. Now, if only BeBook could get their collective tumbs out and release the Mobi support!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 PM   #49
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
What I don't understand if why you can't check a book back in. Sometimes I go through 20 books before I find one I like and finish.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 AM   #50
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
What I don't understand if why you can't check a book back in. Sometimes I go through 20 books before I find one I like and finish.
You talking about returning the book early? If so, all you have to do is go into your digital software and click on the dropdown of the book from the library and you'll see the option to return the book. It works for me, and when I sign in to my public library, all the books I returned early is no longer in my cue. The best part is it's still readable on the reader until it expired or I delete it.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #51
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Thanks! I was able to do it with a checked out PDF file. Anyone know how to do it with a Mobipocket PRC file through the MobiPocket reader?

Thanks again!
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #52
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
GatorDeb--According the library websites I use (Sacramento, San Jose, NY), there is no current way to return mobipocket or WMA/MP3 audio books early (just Adobe).

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #53
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
GatorDeb--According the library websites I use (Sacramento, San Jose, NY), there is no current way to return mobipocket or WMA/MP3 audio books early (just Adobe).

dordale
And there probably shouldn't be for Adobe. A library owns a fixed number of copies and they limit the checkout to that number of copies so they are not in violation of their contract with the publisher. If you can check in early and are still able to continue reading the book then you will cause them to violate this contract since the eBook will be available for checkout again.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #54
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Great thread but no mention of the UK at all... does anyone know if any public libraries in the UK do this or is it only you lucky americans (and swedes)?

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #55
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerTez View Post
Great thread but no mention of the UK at all... does anyone know if any public libraries in the UK do this or is it only you lucky americans (and swedes)?
Check the website of your local library. It should mention if books can be downloaded in either PDF or Mobi format. You will then need to contact the library to find out what is needed (library card) before checking out ebooks. I've read 3 books from my library so far and the process is very simple.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #56
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerTez View Post
You might also check http://search.overdrive.com. They host a lot of the public digital libraries and have search pages segregated by country.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #57
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I've checked around, but haven't yet found a library in the UK that supports e-books (and yes, i've checked overdrive).

But I figure, part of the problem was the unavailability of a dedicated e-book reader until recently. And Library's' are run by local council's =Government =Glacier slow
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #58
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I've checked around, but haven't yet found a library in the UK that supports e-books (and yes, i've checked overdrive).

But I figure, part of the problem was the unavailability of a dedicated e-book reader until recently. And Library's' are run by local council's =Government =Glacier slow
I suspect the government part, not the dedicated eBook reader part. Most people in the US use these checkouts on their PDA or laptop computer. It is only a very recent thing to even be able to use them on a dedicated reader.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #59
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I suspect the government part, not the dedicated eBook reader part. Most people in the US use these checkouts on their PDA or laptop computer. It is only a very recent thing to even be able to use them on a dedicated reader.

Dale
True, and you have to look at the main customer base for library's in the uk.

From my empirical survey, most of the people there tend to be older people, people on lower or fixed incomes, children, etc. For them pbook's have probably served them the best, especially when supplemented by Audio books, VHS tapes / DVD's, Graphic novels, etc..

The stuff they do well online is easy access to the library's online databases, and searching the book catalogue (at least here in Nottingham)
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #60
tidixon
Enthusiast
tidixon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I use linux, so there is no way for me to 'check out' these books from home. I have to go to the library to check out my ebooks. This seems strangely as it should be.
tidixon is offline   Reply With Quote