Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free (DRM-free, multiple formats) Lucifer Jones by Mike Resnick [Zany SF/Fantasy]

The Phoenix Pick Press Free eBook of the Month for April is a zany faux-historical sf/fantasy adventure romp from Mike Resnick, and there's a tie-in deal to purchase the 2nd and 3rd books in the series for less than half-price.

Adventures: The Chronicles of Lucifer Jones Vol I. 1922-26 by Mike Resnick is just what it says in the title, and these originally came out from Warner's Questar line circa the early 90s, according to the 1992 date in one of the paperbacks I picked up from the library book sale a couple of months ago.

There really isn't much in the way of description for these over at Phoenix Pick, but from the back cover of the Lucifer Jones pb I have sitting in front of me right now, it's one of those wacky retro-period action/adventure type things kind of like an sfnal Indiana Jones. Or maybe fantasy, since there are curses, dragons, and evil dentists, according to the blurb (I have not yet gotten around to reading all the Resnick pbs I picked up at 50 cents each, although I have read some of his other stuff and can say he's generally pretty good at the zany adventure romps).

The first volume is currently free with coupon code 9991422. Scroll down on Phoenix Pick's catalogue frontpage to Resnick's author section and follow the instructions on the title promo link.

Volumes 2 & 3 can be had for 60% off the regular asking price at just $1.99 each (down from $4.99) directly via the links on the special free book promo page (don't use the regular catalogue links) in the DRM-free format of your choice (ePub or Mobi; there really ought to be a MultiFormat bundle like most everyone else does). ETA: Apparently it is finally an ePub/Mobi bundle, and it's also an auto-bundle of both books for $3.98. It might be nice to also offer them separately, perhaps for a very slightly higher individual cost, for people who may have already bought one but not both of the bundle before this particular promo sale.

I will be purchasing these myself shortly, which will give me my 5th qualifying purchase on the Sony Mastercard and hopefully net me a nifty new ePub-supporting PRS-T1 from the Sony signup promo in 6-8 weeks time.

Description
Of all the characters that Mike has created, Lucifer Jones remains his favorite. We are proud to republish this hilarious series of adventures starring a most unique character.

Adventures is the first volume of the Chronicles.

Being a Stirring Chronicle of Intrigue, Romance, Danger, Hairbreadth Escapes, and Thrilling Triumphs over Fierce Beasts and Fiercer Men in the Mysterious and Exotic Dark Continent, as Recounted by the Daring, Resourceful, Handsome, and Modest Christian Gentleman Who Experienced Them

Phoenix Pick also says in their newsletter that they'll be KDP-freebieing the stuff they yanked from catalogue over the next few weeks for people who don't have difficulty signing up for and downloading Kindle books from Amazon, and you can see their newsletter for more details.

(ETA 2: Here's an upcoming promotional roster page with the tie-in sale details for direct-buy ePub/Mobi bundles. I see I will be adding the 99 cent Joan Slonczewski novels to my Resnick purchase.)

Hopefully B&N get that "yanked from catalogue==you can't redownload your paid purchases" thing sorted out for their customers who've already been affected, since PP publisher and fellow MR member Shahid took the time to ask them directly about that and B&N CS said that that's not supposed to happen.

Last edited by ATDrake; 04-01-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Purchasing details. And actual link to actual page where one can get the freebie.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Thanks. Got this from Fictionwise way back when, but guess it can't hurt to have another edition!

Lucifer Jones is actually humourous satire about a dodgy womanising con artist - who gets into rather out of the ordinary places and situations.

I've read most of what Resnick has written, especially the always reasonably priced digital backlist he has had available as opposed to the newer double figure dodgy format maybe US only Pyr books, anyway.

Certainly always worth $1.99, anyway!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Got that thank you. Always did like Mike Resnick.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
vol 4 is different publisher, but also appears to be DRM-free at Amazon ($2.99):

http://www.amazon.com/Hazards-Chroni...dp/B0042X9CY6/
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Sadly, Subterranean geo-restricts now that they've stopped distributing via Baen (I don't see why they can't do both Baen and other stores as Night Shade does).

But they should be available via B&N and Kobo for the same price in the States as well, and couponable at Kobo if the books are there.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Thanks, got it!
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks! I didn't get it.*

Don
*I've been dying to say that, even if it's not true.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thanks! I didn't get it.*

Don
*I've been dying to say that, even if it's not true.
I don't get it ....
koland is offline   Reply With Quote