Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-13-2024, 05:43 AM   #1
oldmonk
oldmonk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post Question about indexing metadata

So, I'm thinking of indexing my books' metadata for a more convenient in calibre search, instead of using third party software(acrobat, pdf viewer) and manually scanning files and what not.
My library has almost 6.5k books now, and the question is, how much time will indexing take? Is there danger of something breaking up?
Thanks guys, have a great day!
oldmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 09:09 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Metadata? Or the Content of the books?

I ask, because the TAG BROWSER is the metadata indexed.

OTOH, standard rules still apply

GIGO

Calibre provides a number of tools to help you house keep metadata.

In the Tag Browser: Manage. This allows you to adjust from that perspective. Fixing there, makes all uses follow (Change once, affects many. The reason a Relational DB is so great)
While an entry is in Edit mode: right click: there is a menu of built in quick adjustments. My fav: Change case )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2024, 06:21 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
So, I'm thinking of indexing my books' metadata for a more convenient in calibre search, instead of using third party software(acrobat, pdf viewer) and manually scanning files and what not.
My library has almost 6.5k books now, and the question is, how much time will indexing take? Is there danger of something breaking up?
Do you really mean indexing the metadata… i.e. the stuff that's in calibre 'columns' such as Authors, Tags, Publisher etc… if so @theducks response applies.

Or do you mean indexing the content, in which case calibre has this feature ==>> Searching the full text of all books.

Or, given that the book contents are stored as regular file formats (i.e. PDF, EPUB, DOCX etc) you can use one of the file indexers available for your OS/File System - Windows and MacOS come with index based file content search tools. Caveat: many of these tools don't index EPUBs, for Windows Search there's a 3rd party IFilter available.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-13-2024 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Caveat
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
indexing, question