Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-01-2017, 12:18 AM   #181
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You where careful but correct.
The mouse and keyboard technical details have not changed much since when the PS2 "standard" was introduced.

The connectors have changed, and some are wireless connections, but everything "speaks" PS2 coding regardless of the connection media.

(Well, HP may still be different, but then who cares?)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #182
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
zxczxc,

I'm almost done with a kernel module that can make the usb hot swappable. and wanted to get your ideas.

In the KindleLazy, you open both event 2 and event3 ( kbd and mouse ).

One option in my module could make both of those events available at the same device, or split them into kbd/mouse devices.

Anyone have thoughts on that?
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #183
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
zxczxc,

I'm almost done with a kernel module that can make the usb hot swappable. and wanted to get your ideas.

In the KindleLazy, you open both event 2 and event3 ( kbd and mouse ).

One option in my module could make both of those events available at the same device, or split them into kbd/mouse devices.

Anyone have thoughts on that?
Hi, I check both keyboard and mouse events simply because the wireless presenter I use has some 'mouse' butttons and some 'keyboard' buttons, and so it appears as separate input devices.

Ideally I just would just want to check for a specific button press, and not care about what device it is coming from.

So I'm not sure what to tell you with regards to your module, maybe I misunderstand something, sorry.

Hot swappable would be great

Thanks for your work!
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #184
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Hot swappable kernal module

OK, here is the simplest version I have made, I'm not entirely happy with it, but it's time to put it out into the world.

Usage should be in the form:

Code:
insmod hid.ko  2>&1
sleep 1
insmod usbhid.ko 2>&1
sleep 1
insmod mousedev.ko 2>&1 # ( I have no idea why, but like you saw, if I don't use this we often get the device disconnecting and reconnecting repeatedly
sleep 1
insmod mdcbug.ko 2>&1
sleep 1

killall kindlelazy > /dev/null 2>&1
sleep 3
./kindlelazy  &
It will make a device named /dev/mdcdev.

You will need to change kindlelazy to use this device.
Maybe you could make the device part of the configuration. I do plan on changing this module considerably in the future though, this name is not well though out, just my initials. I'm thinking of something like 'evhot' to mimic 'evdev'.

Can you give this a test, changing your source code to open device /dev/mdcdev instead of inputs 2 and 3.

Current limitations:

The device can only be opened by one application.
( So you cannot read it in kindlelazy, and tail it from the command line ).

It has a very basic device filter - anythign with eh left mouse button, or the "enter" key.

Device does not support most ioctl calls, so it cannot be used by evtest or Xorg, it can only be read.

Long term plans:

My long term plan for this module would be for it:

To work on any linux device.

Be opened by any number of applications.

Provide multiple /dev/somethng_mouse, something_kbd, something_all devices. So that like Xorg can open jsut the keyboard part.

For this, I will need to implement all of the ioctl calls, and provide a list of events that I can actually support.

Edit:
When I put the device to sleep running a copy of kindlelazy that just showed all the events, the device crashed on wakeup. Do not use this yet.

Edit2:

I have uploaded a new version that does not open the touchscreen of the power button.

It will only register for certain mice ( must have a left button ) and certain keyboards ( must have an ENTER key ) now.

Tested again, and no crash on reboot. I had it just write all the events to a file, the following 4 test cases worked. ( of cource including the test case of leaving it unplugged )

Plug in, suspend, wakeup,
Plug in, unplug, suspend, wakeup, plug in.
Plug in, suspend, unplug, wakeup, plug in.
Plug in, suspend, unplug, plug in, wakeup.

zxczxc, if you get the change, can you give me the output of
evtest /dev/input2
and
evtest /dev/input3 on your presenter.

If it registers as a mouse and keyboard, but it doesn't have an enter key, I wonder which keys it lists.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mdcbug.zip (9.0 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by coplate; 04-20-2017 at 11:41 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #185
I.hate.reading
I.hate.reading began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW3
Only if i could do jailbreak!
I.hate.reading is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #186
vespoid
First Mate
vespoid began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3, Keyboard (retired)
I've been having a bit of a weird problem with KindleLazy under firmware 5.8.9.2. Everything works as expected with the screen right side up. with it upside down, the pages do not turn and the previous page button instead cycles the progress meter at the bottom of the page through off, location, time left, etc.

Of course, now that I go to repeat it and look at the logs, it's resolved itself. I'll export them if and when it happens again.

Last edited by vespoid; 07-12-2017 at 07:40 PM.
vespoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #187
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
what kind of controller u use ? i think the controllers for power point aren't really comfortable to use on bed
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #188
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
This software is written for a controller which is specified in the first post. Dunno if other controllers will work with it.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:15 AM   #189
Trigun
Connoisseur

the key are just the up down of the keyboard (or right left)
Old 08-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #190
Mr_SkiZZeX
Mr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheeseMr_SkiZZeX can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 G090G1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
what kind of controller u use ?
This one is very comfortable.
Mr_SkiZZeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:40 AM   #191
Trigun
Connoisseur

i noticed a battery drain (like 50% in a single day)
the drain is from the usb power or from the app?
Old 09-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #192
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
i noticed a battery drain (like 50% in a single day)
the drain is from the usb power or from the app?
USB power (and the Kindle itself, which probably doesn't get to sleep as often).
If you dig into this thread a bit, I think you will find where at least some people used a powered hub rather than pull power from the Kindle.

If your giving a presentation of greater than 24 hours, do not send me an invite - I need at least regular beer breaks (or whatever).
Other than that -
I would recommend that you re-charge both yourself and the Kindle every 32 hours of non-stop reading.

Last edited by knc1; 09-05-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #193
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Is there a chance KindleLazy will work on the KOA2? Does it have usbotg?
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #194
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Is there a chance KindleLazy will work on the KOA2? Does it have usbotg?
You will probably have to wait until the device model is jail broken.
And if you let yours update to 5.9.2, you are SOL.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #195
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You will probably have to wait until the device model is jail broken.
And if you let yours update to 5.9.2, you are SOL.
I know. I got one yesterday that has a good screen and 5.9.0.5.1 I've done everything preparatory to the JB but it occurred to me last night that there may be no reason for this model to have usbotg and it may not, in which case, KindleLazy won't work. Bluetooth doesn't look promising at the moment for a remote page turner, but of course I hope that will change. Nicer not to have the receiver sticking out for usb. If it doesn't have usbotg, I would consider returning it. The remote page turner is very important to me. I do love the screen, though.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote, remote control