Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Man-Kzin

I am curious about the long running Man-Kzin series, however there does not seem to be a volume one amoung these books. I preferr the electronic versions rather than the printed ones. Baen seems to be showing the books starting with volume 6. What gives? What don't I understand? Is there a CD with the later books?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Wikipedia has a list of all of the volumes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-Kzin_Wars and you should be able to use the ISBN numbers from there to accurately find any volume.

As far as I know very few of Niven's back catalog have made it to eBook including the first volumes of man-kzin.

In fact if you go to the author page at http://www.baen.com/author_catalog.asp?author=lniven you can find those early book available in dead tree versions but not ebook.

Also, I do not think there is a single omnibus of all of the man-kzin in either eBook or dead tree.
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am thinking of picking up some of the volumes in this series, haven't really made up my mind as yet. I also have enough on my to be read stack at this point, however its getting cut down quickly.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Also, I found this over on an old thread at Baen's Bar:

Quote:
The Houses of the Kzinti and The Best of All Possible Wars feature a sizable chunk of the stories from volumes I-IV -- so if you're looking for a couple "Greatest Hits" collections to start off with, those two are great places to start. And I believe A Darker Geometry (January 2010 Webscriptions) adds a few more of the earlier volumes as well.

In addition, I would not complain in the least if Poul Anderson's Inconstant Star (containing "Iron" and "Inconstant Star") got Webscripted as well ;-)
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
Be careful about starting these, you may find yourself compelled to get all of them. I've been reading them since the beginning and have found the quality to be consistently high. If you are a fan of "Known Space", you will find that the series expands on the races and history quite a lot, though some bits may not quite be "Canon."
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I, when I was really reading a lot of SF years ago, read the first few Kzin wars books. Only those actually written by Niven I believe. To me though the starting point is Ring World.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I am curious about the long running Man-Kzin series, however there does not seem to be a volume one amoung these books. I preferr the electronic versions rather than the printed ones. Baen seems to be showing the books starting with volume 6. What gives? What don't I understand? Is there a CD with the later books?
There isn't a volume I, just "The Man-Kzin Wars", published in 1988.

Unfortunately, the earlier volumes aren't available in electronic format at the moment, as they were published before Baen's ebook publishing got off the ground. Some of the early volumes have been published in later ebook bundles (e.g. volume VI), but many are missing.

Fantastic Fiction seems to have a good list of the volumes that have been published since the first in 1988.

There are a couple of 'best of' collections, that include some stories from the earlier books. Hopefully eventually all the books will get re-issued as electronic books, but I suspect a lot depends on whether Baen still have rights to them.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
jbcohen - Your thread title caught my eye because the author I'm currently reading (S.M. Stirling) collaborated on several books in the Man-Kzin series. I noticed it the other day when I was browsing Stirling's website, particularly his bibliography. When I'm ready, I think I'll probably be able to get at least those from Baen (my local library carries only a few of Stirling's books).

Good luck on your search!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I, when I was really reading a lot of SF years ago, read the first few Kzin wars books. Only those actually written by Niven I believe. To me though the starting point is Ring World.
Yes and there are 3-4 books in the Ringworld series (if not more) I believe. A former neighbor got me hooked on Niven's work. He gave me a box of books which included the first two Ringworld books.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard

Im going to hold off on this series for now I need to catch up on some of the other books that I have. Although I am trying to get a good overview of the authors who work for BAEN and the bundles have been helping me to do just that. At the moment I have been impressed by the writtings from David Weber and John Dalmas. Lary Niven is a name that I have run into before and I might pickup some of his writtings in the near future.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Im going to hold off on this series for now I need to catch up on some of the other books that I have. Although I am trying to get a good overview of the authors who work for BAEN and the bundles have been helping me to do just that. At the moment I have been impressed by the writtings from David Weber and John Dalmas. Lary Niven is a name that I have run into before and I might pickup some of his writtings in the near future.
Lucifer's Hammer, Inferno, Footfall and The Mote in God's Eye are my favorite Larry Niven books.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The Mote in God's Eye is a fantastic story. Read it as a teenager and it remains one of my favorite books. Larry Niven has a lot of great stories, including some excellent short stories.

One of my favourite short stories of his is "Not Long Before The End."
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote