Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
NicholasV
Enthusiast
NicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavensNicholasV is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Nook Touch, (ex)Kindle 3
Modern Greek authors

Any good modern Greek authors anyone can recommend? They don't have to be translated to English, but I would prefer authors who use a smaller, more commonplace lexicon which I could follow better. I really liked the English translation of The Few Things I Know About Glafkos Thrassakis by Vassilis Vassilikos for example, but when I stumbled onto a Greek edition, I found the author had too great of a vocabulary for me to follow well enough. I found an article about Margarita Karapanou that piqued my interest in her, read an English translation of hers, but it seems that none of her Greek works are digitized. This is unfortunate because the translator, Karen Emmerich, mentioned her straightforward Greek prose was easier for her as a non-native to follow.

Also I detest cliched genre type stuff, unless it is out of the ordinary. For example I don't like the scientific and technological positivism of mainstream sci-fi, but I liked Fahrenheit 451 because it was more of a dystopia of people fighting each other to self-censor(which reflects well the social reality of the United States), rather than the tripe naive image of ascendancy by technical means.
NicholasV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
karapanou, lexicon, modern greek authors, non genre, vassilikos