Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Describing horse commands

Okay, I've got a bit of a question. In the story I'm working on I have a point where the characters have to ride on horses. I know the commands for go, stop, faster, slower, left, right, etc. However, some of the commands that I would use aren't actually words. They're more clicks and grunts and other noises that the horse understands and responds to. How would one best describe those in a bit of dialog?

For example, the "forward" command I most regularly use to make a horse go is two cheek clicks followed by "hup, hup", although, depending on the horse, sometimes the two clicks are enough, and the hup-hup is sort of an extra emphasis that's not needed. Hup-hup with me is usually reserved for when the animal is hesitant about going. Kind of like saying, "It's okay to go." So if I was to use that standard "go" command in dialog, how best would I do that given that it's technically non-verbal?

I mean, I *could* just leave it as part of the narration, but I want to use it as part of the dialog if possible.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:13 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
It's hard to tell what might be best without knowing more of the context - how much "conversation" is going to be directed to the horse. In a lot of situations it simply wouldn't be necessary to include it at all, but it's also possible to envisage a scene in which the horse(s) are more directly involved in how the scene unfolds.

I don't have any problem with "hup, hup" in dialogue - although I don't know how you might express some of the other non-verbals. The first time you might explain whatever commands you decide to use, but after that I think it should be fine.

I haven't been on a horse since I was a kid, so about the only thing I'd be saying if I found myself on one now would be, "Get me down from here," or maybe just, "Help!"
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just ask Mister Ed for a description!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Glad I wasn't the only one that thought that.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Whatever you do, please don't give us "sound effects" like Modesset does in his "Recluse" series. Great series, but the sound effects annoy me considerably!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Whatever you do, please don't give us "sound effects" like Modesset does in his "Recluse" series. Great series, but the sound effects annoy me considerably!
I have the solution for horse commands. Full cast audiobooks with sound effects and music. That would be great.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
It's hard to tell what might be best without knowing more of the context - how much "conversation" is going to be directed to the horse. In a lot of situations it simply wouldn't be necessary to include it at all, but it's also possible to envisage a scene in which the horse(s) are more directly involved in how the scene unfolds.

I don't have any problem with "hup, hup" in dialogue - although I don't know how you might express some of the other non-verbals. The first time you might explain whatever commands you decide to use, but after that I think it should be fine.

I haven't been on a horse since I was a kid, so about the only thing I'd be saying if I found myself on one now would be, "Get me down from here," or maybe just, "Help!"
lol, yeah, that's kinda what my problem has been. Namely figuring out how to translate non-verbals into a dialog context. In narrative context they're pretty easy to express, but the trick is putting them into a dialog scenario. Although, I do admit the grand total of conversation with the horse amounts to just the commands. So I've actually been questioning if I really need to put them in as dialog.
Quote:

Of course! Of course! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Glad I wasn't the only one that thought that.

Quote:
Yeah, I hate that myself in novels and avoid it like the plague in my own. However, there are those rare times, such as in this case, that they seem to give more authenticity and realism to the scene than just saying, "He commanded the horse forward" or something dull like that. o_0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have the solution for horse commands. Full cast audiobooks with sound effects and music. That would be great.
Actually, I'd LOVE to do something like that. My problem is I'm always broke. So unless someone did something like that for me pro-bono, eh, not gonna happen. Although it would be cool if it did happen.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
He clicked his tongue/cheek.
arjaybe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:39 AM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
lol, yeah, that's kinda what my problem has been. Namely figuring out how to translate non-verbals into a dialog context. In narrative context they're pretty easy to express, but the trick is putting them into a dialog scenario. Although, I do admit the grand total of conversation with the horse amounts to just the commands. So I've actually been questioning if I really need to put them in as dialog.
If they really aren't actually needed (to achieve the effect you wanted to create) then then I would avoid them. Allowing the occasional easy/obvious ones through may be enough, with support from relevant narrative inclusions, to do what you need without it becoming an unwanted distraction.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:00 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Yeah, I hate that myself in novels and avoid it like the plague in my own. However, there are those rare times, such as in this case, that they seem to give more authenticity and realism to the scene than just saying, "He commanded the horse forward" or something dull like that. o_0
In case anyone doesn't understand what I mean by the "sound effects" in Modessit's books:

Quote:
“So…you really aren’t going to give in.” The big bandit shrugs, half-turns. “Well, it was worth a try.”

Whhsttttt…

The heavy man swings through the turn and thrusts toward Kadara.
Quote:
With all the time it takes him, and the stubbornness of the mounts, the stew is ready when he stumbles back into the way station. Brede sits on one end of the stone bench.

…tu…whuuuu…

Dorrin jerks his head up.

“Just an owl,” Brede says quietly. “They hunt earlier here in the cold weather, I think. It’s probably too cold for the rodents late at night.”
Quote:
Dorrin extends his senses toward the dog, feeling the infection and the age within the body.

…hhhhnnnn…thump… The dog’s tail flicks against the plank floor.

His hands, as gently as he knows how, scratch the shaggy brown coat between her ears, even as he tries to help the ailing animal. Certainly, a little order cannot hurt.

…slurrppp… A damp tongue runs across his wrist.

“Easy, lady, easy…”

…thump…thump…

Dorrin scratches the dog’s head again before standing up. “You’ll feel better in a while, lady,” he says quietly, bending and patting her head.
... and so on on virtually every page .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:24 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

'Ka-Pow !' over the the top of the head should end the sound effects, don't you think? *

* = In no way am I advocating cruelty to animals. However, I do advocate extreme cruelty to authors who insist on using sound effects.

'Whoa, there, big fella!'

Old 06-14-2017, 05:26 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In case anyone doesn't understand what I mean by the "sound effects" in Modessit's books:

... and so on on virtually every page .
Old 06-14-2017, 08:51 AM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
'Ka-Pow !' over the the top of the head should end the sound effects, don't you think? *

* = In no way am I advocating cruelty to animals. However, I do advocate extreme cruelty to authors who insist on using sound effects.

I was hoping you meant the author.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Hey Steven,
You might want to avoid the sounds and just be straight forward with the commands because I don't think all horses are trained exactly the same with tongue clicks and stuff.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #15
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Quote:
In case anyone doesn't understand what I mean by the "sound effects" in Modessit's books:... and so on on virtually every page .
*groan* Wow, even without the sound effects his writing leaves a lot to be desired. Oy.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hey Steven,
You might want to avoid the sounds and just be straight forward with the commands because I don't think all horses are trained exactly the same with tongue clicks and stuff.
Yeah, that's what I eventually opted for. It didn't give me the same effect as I wanted, but I decided it'd be the easier way out for now. lol.