Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
kongzifan
Enthusiast
kongzifan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPhone, iPad
Memory leak in 0.8.28?

After upgrading to 0.8.28, calibre became significantly slow. When I tried to convert downloaded 6M python 3.2.2 HTML document to mobi, it took more than one hour on an dual core desktop. Calibre used up 1.9G of the 2G memory and 1.4G of the 4G swap, and the computer became extremely slow and unresponsive. Is there a memory leak problem in 0.8.28?

By the way, the system is Ubuntu 10.04 64bit, CPU is dual core AMD at 2.7G Hz,and total memory is 2G.

Last edited by kongzifan; 12-01-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added system specs
kongzifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongzifan View Post
After upgrading to 0.8.28, calibre became significantly slow. When I tried to convert downloaded 6M python 3.2.2 HTML document to mobi, it took more than one hour on an dual core desktop. Calibre used up all the 2G memory and the computer became extremely slow and unresponsive. Is there a memory leak problem in 0.8.28?
Heuristics ground a simple TXT=>EPUB file to a standstill (2 hrs before I aborted). 50% (the max for a HT P4) CPU, no I/O.

1 minute with Heuristics OFF.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
kongzifan
Enthusiast

Heuristics is already off.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In order to conclude that 0.8.28 had a memory leak you would need to demonstrate that a conversion that did not use memory in 0.8.27 now uses memory in 0.8.28. Some conversions take a lot of memory. That is the nature of the beast. Convert a file you converted in 0.8.27 in 0.8.28, I highly doubt you will find memory usage any higher.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
kongzifan
Enthusiast

I got this impression because this calibre making system unresponsive thing never happened before. I had used calibre to convert many much larger documents without having this trouble. But I did not make deliberate comparison of different versions of calibre on the same document, thus it's not conclusive.
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 05:19 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Memory usage has nothing to do with size. I can artificially construct a 10MB document that would consume 4GB of RAM while converting, while a more "normal" 10MB document typically takes no more than a 100MB.

In the case of the python documentation, the document has the structure of a lot of relatively small HTML files with a single very large CSS that is referenced by all of them. In such a case, because of calibre's CSS flattening/font size normalization, the CSS has to be duplicated for every HTML file. Running a calibre conversion on a collection of HTML files is like opening every single one simultaneously in a different tab in a single browser.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
kongzifan
Enthusiast

I see. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Tags
bug, conversion