Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-20-2021, 05:43 PM   #46
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Can remove and change it (is a simple patch), but since Kobo receives the main income from the sale of books, that is, from its store, such patches will not be added, in order to avoid...

It is written in plain text above.
I can read plain text. It still doesn't answer my question regarding the specific function of the patch itself. Was simply curious about labeling.

While I understand Kobo's position, some of us prefer to keep wifi off permanently and purchase our books via website. Preventing me from further customizing my device will not make me change the method I use to purchase books from Kobo.

Last edited by Skydog; 03-20-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
If anyone can PM me the way to remove discover from the home page, I would appreciate it. My property - my wishes
That won't happen. It's been decided that such a patch is not going to be made.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2021, 06:29 PM   #48
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
In general - this button is really intrusive and duplicates the link on the Home page. Therefore, those whom it annoys, I perfectly understand - she also annoys me and is absolutely unnecessary ...
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:31 PM   #49
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
In general - this button is really intrusive and duplicates the link on the Home page. Therefore, those whom it annoys, I perfectly understand - she also annoys me and is absolutely unnecessary ...
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #50
atlasan
atlasan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindle PW, others
SD read only

Hi geek, thank you..
When passed step 4 (installa the firmware BEFORE proceeding..) I now have a ready only SD .. (accessing with USB does not work for me..)
Do you know how to fix this?
atlasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2021, 11:34 AM   #51
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlasan View Post
Hi geek, thank you..
When passed step 4 (installa the firmware BEFORE proceeding..) I now have a ready only SD .. (accessing with USB does not work for me..)
You need to enable 'Developer options' -> 'Force Wifi ON' and transfer KoboRoot.tgz via FTP.

In order to turn the developer mode on, type 'devmodeon' in the Kobo search bar.

Don't forget to disable this mode: type 'devmodeoff' in the Kobo search bar ...
Old 04-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi geek, thank you..
What happens when you try via USB? What is your setup? Please be as specific as possible so someone may be able to help.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #53
atlasan

Hi there and thank you for the support!

Quote:
You need to enable 'Developer options' -> 'Force Wifi ON' and transfer KoboRoot.tgz via FTP.

In order to turn the developer mode on, type 'devmodeon' in the Kobo search bar.

I didn't know about the developer mode! I will use it for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What happens when you try via USB? What is your setup? Please be as specific as possible so someone may be able to help.
Finally the problem of accessing via Usb was just a faulty cable (the one shipped with the device), because after messing around with a new card and a clone image I had saved before (experiment that didn't succeeded, the device remained in boot loop 'restoring'), I finally put back the original card and changing cable finally worked!

(I had posted another thread specific for that, I will update it now..) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=338780

Thank you, so, firmware 4.26.16704 works for me. Just a question, is it possible to downgrade? Do I need an image? And sorry for the noob questions and behaviours.. ^_^
Old 04-14-2021, 12:59 PM   #54
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Just a question, is it possible to downgrade?
You can, but for what? 4.26 is a good firmware.

I would recommend that you install NickelMenu and set up an FTP server there. You will not depend on cables to transfer books to your device.

In principle, can transfer books using the developer mode, but should not do this

Last edited by Semwize; 04-14-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #55
atlasan

Quote:

Just one question, does "Force WiFi ON" do something more than keeping the WiFi always On? Is it the FTP always active or how should I enable it?
Old 04-14-2021, 01:13 PM   #56
Semwize
Guru

https://pgaskin.net/NickelMenu/

Detailed FAQ inside the NM archive. Including how to switch on / switch off FTP server.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:01 AM   #57
atlasan

Quote:
I would do it in case of some interesting MOD does not apply to this firmware..

Quote:
https://pgaskin.net/NickelMenu/

Detailed FAQ inside the NM archive. Including how to switch on / switch off FTP server.
I will definitevely check the NM page
Old 04-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

I would recommend that you install NickelMenu and set up an FTP server there. You will not depend on cables to transfer books to your device.

In principle, can transfer books using the developer mode, but should not do this
But using FTP to transfer eBooks loses a lot of features and eBook organizing is out the window. Best to transfer via USB using Calibre. Also, you lose features such as using Kobo Utilities to copy the database and update reading positions.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-17-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I would do it in case of some interesting MOD does not apply to this firmware.
There is no interesting MOD that won't work with 4.26.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #60
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But using FTP to transfer eBooks loses a lot of features and eBook organizing is out the window. Best to transfer via USB using Calibre. Also, you lose features such as using Kobo Utilities to copy the database and update reading positions.
Each user decides for himself what he needs and what directly suits him. Checks and determines what it needs.

I don't use Calibre at all, I don't like it. However, at the same time, all my books are perfectly ordered. However, I do not impose my point of view on anyone and do not write on every corner - do as I do ...

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching