Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-13-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
How to make and run a Linux calibre portable USB Stick.

The first few posts in this thread will explain how to make and use calibre portable on Linux. Will start with a very basic setup then go to what is my recommended setup. Then show how to have both 32-bit and 64-bit on the same stick or hard drive folder, also have multiple versions of calibre on the same stick or hard drive folder.

Just a reminder 32 bit builds will not run on resent Linux systems releases.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basic Linux usb stick.

Basic setup.
  • Go here and download the version of calibre you want to use--for this example we will use calibre 4.23.0.
  • Format a usb stick using a linux file system--will not work using a windows type--will use ext4 for this example.
  • On the usb stick create a folder name "calibre"--note do not capitalize calibre.
  • On the usb stick create a folder name "CalibreConfig".
  • On the usb stick create a folder name "CalibreLibrary".
  • At this point your usb should look like this:
  • Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-10-13 09-47-51.png
Views:	416
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	182681
  • Extract the version of calibre downloaded earlier to the calibre folder on the usb stick.
  • Open the usb stick using your your file manger open the calibre folder.
  • Open the resources folder.

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-10-13 09-53-30.png
Views:	359
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	182682
  • Now copy the calibre-portable.sh file to the root of the usb stick.

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-10-13 09-57-00.png
Views:	290
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	182683
  • On Ubuntu based systems just click on the calibre-portable.sh file and select run.

calibre will now open.
  • You can also using your file manger just right click the usb stick and open in terminal:

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-10-13 10-14-50.png
Views:	287
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	182684
  • Then type in "./calibre-portable.sh" press enter then press enter again..
Code:
/calibre-portable$ ./calibre-portable.sh
Generating default configuration file at /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/calibre-portable.conf
Set any non-default options here.
CONFIG FILES:       /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/CalibreConfig
--------------------------------------------------
LIBRARY FILES:      /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/CalibreLibrary
SOURCE FILES:       *** Not being Used ***
PROGRAM FILES:      /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/calibre
TEMPORARY FILES:    /tmp/CALIBRE_TEMP_twAnVAp

Press CTRL-C if you do not want to continue
Press ENTER to continue and start Calibre

Starting up Calibre from portable directory "/media/Yourusername/calibre-portable"
Using library at /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/CalibreLibrary

calibre will now open.

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 10-13-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Advert
Old 10-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
gbm
Wizard

My Recommended Setup

This will make a usb stick or calibre folder on a hard that is totally self-contained does not use space on the hard drive for tmp files.
  • Go here and download the version of calibre you want to use--for this example we will use calibre 4.23.0.
  • Format a usb stick using a linux file system--will not work using a windows type--will use ext4 for this example.
  • On the usb stick create a folder name "calibre-portable":

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-10-13 10-56-49.png
Views:	249
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	182685
  • Open the folder calibre-portable
  • In the folder calibre-portable create a folder name "calibre"--note do not captalize calibre.
  • In the folder calibre-portable create a folder name "CalibreConfig".
  • In the folder calibre-portable create a folder name "CalibreLibrary".
  • In the folder calibre-portable create a folder name "tmp".
  • At this point your usb should look like this:

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-10-13 10-57-12.png
Views:	296
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	182686
  • Extract the version of calibre downloaded earlier to the calibre folder.
  • Open the usb stick using your your file manger open the calibre folder.
  • Open the resources folder.
  • Now copy the calibre-portable.sh file to the root of the folder calibre-portable.

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-10-13 10-57-54.png
Views:	276
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	182687
  • Click on the calibre-portable.sh file and chose run in terminal.
  • Type
Code:
./calibre-portable.sh
Code:
Generating default configuration file at /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/calibre-portable/calibre-portable.conf
Set any non-default options here.
CONFIG FILES:       /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/calibre-portable/CalibreConfig
LIBRARY FILES:      /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/calibre-portable/CalibreLibrary
PROGRAM FILES:      /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/calibre-portable/calibre
TEMPORARY FILES:    /tmp/CALIBRE_TEMP_fPtntSA

• At this time press CTRL-C.
  • This will create thee calibre-portable.conf file.
  • Now open the calibre-portable.conf file using a text editor
  • Change:
Code:
# CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR="/tmp/CALIBRE_TEMP_$(tr -dc 'A-Za-z0-9'</dev/urandom |fold -w 7 | head -n1)"
  1. to:
Code:
 CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR="$(pwd)/tmp/CALIBRE_TEMP_$(tr -dc 'A-Za-z0-9'</dev/urandom |fold -w 7 | head -n1)"
  • Save the file.
  • On Ubuntu based systems just click on the calibre-portable.sh file and select run
Calibre will now open

Or you can use run in terminal.
Code:
CONFIG FILES:       /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/calibre-portable/CalibreConfig
LIBRARY FILES:      /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/calibre-portable/CalibreLibrary
PROGRAM FILES:      /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/calibre-portable/calibre
TEMPORARY FILES:    /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/calibre-portable/tmp/CALIBRE_TEMP_vLpwXYB

Starting up Calibre from portable directory "/media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/calibre-portable"
Using library at /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/calibre-portable/CalibreLibrary
bernie

Last edited by gbm; 10-13-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
gbm
Wizard

Reserved for future use 3.

bernie
Old 10-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
gbm
Wizard

Reserved for future use 4.

bernie
Advert
Old 11-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
Suffolk Punch
Connoisseur
Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Suffolk Punch can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS T1, Kindle 4 NT, Kobo Touch, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
This will make a usb stick or calibre folder on a hard that is totally self-contained does not use space on the hard drive for tmp files.
<snip!>
Starting up Calibre from portable directory "/media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/calibre-portable"
Using library at /media/Yourusername/calibre-portable/calibre-portable/CalibreLibrary[/CODE]

bernie
Thanks Bernie. Your 'recommended setup' worked for my Linux Mint 19.3 system. I can now run (separately) Calibre 4.23 + small library from a USB stick (to dedrm) and Calibre 5.6.0 + big library.

Martin
Suffolk Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:29 AM   #7
DirCat
Enthusiast
DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.

Device: Samsung Tablet
That works perfectly. Thanks!

My question though (before I go and shell out the $ for it): Can you use the same setup on Dropbox? Meaning making the Dropbox a portable Linux Calibre drive so the program (and all of the plugins) can be accessed everywhere.

(The reason I'm asking is that I lost my main computer's Calibre instance and worry that my USB drive might mess up as well. By having it out in the cloud like that, it wouldn't be lost nearly as easily.)

(EDIT: I just realized that the Dropbox drive probably isn't formatted as an EXT4 drive. That means it may not work right...)

Last edited by DirCat; 01-28-2022 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Added the ext4 line.
DirCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:07 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IMHO the important thing is Backups. (You do backup your Library folder?)
A fresh Calibre install is easy to do. It is the rest....

Backup the (entire) Configuration folder any time you install a New plugin (name) to capture the configuration (your preferences).
Even if the PI gets updated Later, you are good as Calibre will simply notify you and your settings are not lost (notify is only for PI in the MR Index, not those other tools)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:33 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirCat View Post
That works perfectly. Thanks!

My question though (before I go and shell out the $ for it): Can you use the same setup on Dropbox? Meaning making the Dropbox a portable Linux Calibre drive so the program (and all of the plugins) can be accessed everywhere.

(The reason I'm asking is that I lost my main computer's Calibre instance and worry that my USB drive might mess up as well. By having it out in the cloud like that, it wouldn't be lost nearly as easily.)

(EDIT: I just realized that the Dropbox drive probably isn't formatted as an EXT4 drive. That means it may not work right...)
You might want to check the calibre FAQs for I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?. The only question with having your library on a networked/cloud/etc. drive, is when not if, your library will be corrupted.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:01 AM   #10
DirCat
Enthusiast
DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.DirCat invented the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Backup the (entire) Configuration folder any time you install a New plugin (name) to capture the configuration (your preferences).
Even if the PI gets updated Later, you are good as Calibre will simply notify you and your settings are not lost (notify is only for PI in the MR Index, not those other tools)
Okay, I'm already doing that, so that should be good. (I'm actually backing up the entire drive, I think. I need to check that.)
Old 02-04-2022, 10:02 AM   #11
DirCat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You might want to check the calibre FAQs for I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?. The only question with having your library on a networked/cloud/etc. drive, is when not if, your library will be corrupted.
Yeah... maybe it isn't such a good idea...
Old 02-08-2022, 02:46 PM   #12
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
Can a Linux calibre portable usb stick work in a chromebook if the chromebook has Linux enabled?
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:03 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If normally installed calibre can run on the said chromebook, the portable one will run as well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:16 AM   #14
geordiejohn
Zealot
geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geordiejohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Is there a terminal command to install calibre on a 32bit Acer chromebook please,I have tried everything?
Thank you.
geordiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:21 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Version 5.44 is the last 32bit version due to QT.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre portable, linux