Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-29-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
MashaT
Enthusiast
MashaT began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO HD
[Kobo] Exporting book titles to device

When I export book to Kobo ereader (Glo HD) the title on Kobo ereader shows up as 3 separate lines
1: Title
2: Series #
3: Author

The problem I've encountered is that each Kobo line is limited to 24-30 characters max and if line exceeds that its truncated and ends with "..."
So, the book named "The 22 Murders of Madison May" ends up as "The 22 Murders of ..."
However, if 2nd line blank and not taken over by Series name and #, the title will not be truncated and will just move to next line fitting the full title in.

Thing is I have no idea what settings I have made to make this happen or if it is just default
MashaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:11 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
That is the default behaviour. There is only so much space available for text.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:20 PM   #3
MashaT
Enthusiast

Is there any way to change this behavior by using Calibre KoboTouch plugin? It feels redundant and it prevents me from seeing full title which is an annoyance when folder has multiple books with similar starting names.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:32 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The series info is transferred from calibre based on the "Metadata Management" setting (found in Preferences | Change Calibre Behaviour | Sending books to device).

Metadata Management can be set to Manual / Automatic / Only on Send. If set to Automatic then on the second connection to calibre (ie AFTER the Kobo has "processed" new content) the series data will be updated on all content. Never having used either Manual or Only on Send, I'm not sure of all the repercussions,
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 11:38 PM   #5
MashaT
Enthusiast

I don't have problems updating series data. I just don't want to have series name and index # of the book be automatically added to 2nd line of the title of the book in the ereader because this ends up truncating about 40% of all new book titles. I already put those books in a series folder. I don't need it repeated again and messing up my books' titles.
Old 12-30-2021, 05:00 AM   #6
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
On my Clara HD there are four possible lines per title in the library with 'title view':

1: title
2: subtitle
3: series #
4: author

If 3 is not used, the title can expand to a second line, if needed. It is possible that also an empty subtitle allows the used of its line. I use the subtitle for a wordcount, therefore all my books have a subtitle, so I can't see it on my device.

The thing is, you have to decide which informations are important to you. If you remove the series information for a book with long title, then the title is displayed in two lines.

Thats why @PeterT talked about the Metadata Management.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote