Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-25-2021, 12:22 AM   #1
maviperu
maviperu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question How can Calibre send emails on my behalf?

Wow! Developer, you've made my live a dream! Thanks to Calibre and FanFicFare, I can read from Wattpad directly on my Kindle. I am TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY by how SMOOTH the process was.

Question: How does it work? I can understand that it can send an email to my kindle address, but how can it send it from my personal address? That is scary. It means anyone can send emails from my personal address? It would be great to know what goes behind the scenes.

Thanks!
maviperu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:04 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre cant send emails unless you have configured it to do so, see Preferences->Sharing by email.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:14 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maviperu View Post
Question: How does it work? I can understand that it can send an email to my kindle address, but how can it send it from my personal address? That is scary. It means anyone can send emails from my personal address? It would be great to know what goes behind the scenes.

Thanks!
It is trivial to forge "from" email addresses. For lots of explanation see https://lmgtfy.app/?q=how+to+forge+emails+
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:09 AM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It is trivial to forge "from" email addresses. For lots of explanation see https://lmgtfy.app/?q=how+to+forge+emails+
For what it matters, one of my emails routinely receive spam emails from itself thanks to these spoofed headers. The best one was a 411 scam -- I'm not sure how they expected me to actually respond to them...

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-25-2021 at 07:25 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
email, kindle, server