Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 05:37 AM   #31
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
1) Decrease the image a few notches.
2) Increase the space between the lines of the words in the title.
3) Find a more exciting font.
4) Increase the size of the title.
5) Find a way to make the title more 'eye-cathching' through layout.
6) Decrease the size of your name - slightly.
7) Send me $10 for my suggestions or clean up the poop from my Pug for one week.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-10-2018 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:02 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The pink is ugly and the font used for the title is awful.

Maybe try a light sky blue given it's the sky in the background. Given that the cape is waving, put in a few clouds.
Advert
Old 01-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #33
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I like the visual balance of the second (green title) better than the first (blue title), and yet the blue title stands out more clearly.

Could you move the "of the" after the "Rise" (but still as small text, two lines total height matching the one line of "Rise"):

Rise of/the
Animal Rescue
Feminists

And then use the extra space to increase the overall size of the main title. In fact, I would be tempted to remove one of your subtitles, or merge them into the one line. To me it all looks a bit busy up top - especially in thumbnail view - which has the title getting lost amid the noise. Is that tagline? Is that a subtitle? No, it's its a super-title! (Whether it looks like one or not.)
Thanks gmw. Moving the "of the" I'll lose the symmetry I've got. And I agree it's busy up there. I'll see what I can do about that.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #34
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The image needs a few cats!

Last edited by BookCat; 01-11-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #35
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I'm sorry--I hate both of those. I believe it's the fonts--it looks too cartoony/jokey. I realize that the book is dark humor, but that's not the same thing as cartoony.

Let me ask you this, Gregg: what kind of FEEL were you going for, with the fonts?

Hitch
Hitch, This is new territory for me font-wise. I've used the same fonts for the thrillers. Now it's wide-open. God only knows I'm open to suggestions. I liked the title font in post #13 but a few others didn't. I'm figuring I'll keep my author name font to maintain some kind of branding of the books overall, but I'm not even sure if that's a good idea with a book as goofy as this one is. And the feel I'm after is for a wacky over-the-top read. I don't want people reading it and then reviewing it as a wacky over-the-top read. (Although some surely will no matter what I do--ha ha.) Thanks.
Advert
Old 01-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #36
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I preferred the pink background. You could try dropping the series number (The IWS Rules -- Book 1) to small text below your name, move the description (A Lainey Tripper Novel) to the top, above the title, and then make the title bigger and more typographically interesting.
I like the pink better too. It's just more harmonious. I'm a little concerned that it might be too feminine, though. I'll try your suggestions for moving the stuff around. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #37
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
1) Decrease the image a few notches.
2) Increase the space between the lines of the words in the title.
3) Find a more exciting font.
4) Increase the size of the title.
5) Find a way to make the title more 'eye-cathching' through layout.
6) Decrease the size of your name - slightly.
7) Send me $10 for my suggestions or clean up the poop from my Pug for one week.
Thanks Doc. I like 2,3 (suggestions?),4,5 (suggestions?),6. I'll clean up after the dog. (Where do you live? Are you paying for my transportation?)
Old 01-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #38
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The pink is ugly and the font used for the title is awful.
LOL You have such a gracious way of putting things! Any suggestions for a better font?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Maybe try a light sky blue given it's the sky in the background. Given that the cape is waving, put in a few clouds.
I'll try the sky and clouds suggestion. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #39
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
The image need a few cats!
I told you. Ha ha. Cats are in the next one!
Old 01-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I told you. Ha ha. Cats are in the next one!
Given that cats are abandoned FAR MORE than Dogs, I should think so.

Hitch
Old 01-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #41
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
What is the name of the series? Is it IWS Rules, or Lainey Tripper? Why both taking up space on the cover? And in the other thread about the blurb, you say you don't indicate what IWS means--how can you have a series about an organization the name of which you don't know?
Old 01-10-2018, 04:48 PM   #42
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
What is the name of the series? Is it IWS Rules, or Lainey Tripper? Why both taking up space on the cover? And in the other thread about the blurb, you say you don't indicate what IWS means--how can you have a series about an organization the name of which you don't know?
Did he? I don't remember seeing that....of course, these days, after me being knocked flat with some grue for nearly 10 days, that means pretty much NOTHING.

Hitch
Old 01-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #43
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Did he? I don't remember seeing that....of course, these days, after me being knocked flat with some grue for nearly 10 days, that means pretty much NOTHING.

Hitch
He mentioned that in his blurb thread.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #44
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Hitch, was working on this before I saw your post. Does the new version clear up some of the problems? Thanks.

Let's see. What about...phhhllbbffftttt (now you see the great mind of font genius, at work...HA!)...Lucyville, for the title? Or if you're feeling brave, how about Wicked Mouse? Wicked Mouse might be too fat, for the title, but Lucyville is "light" enough (for a whacky font) that it might fit. I don't car for what you have now, because it doesn't say whacky, it says "Comic Sans Ripoff" which means, to me, either kids' books or someone who doesn't understand that CS shouldn't be used for 99.99% of all stuff.

Or...what about Filosofia Unicase?
https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/emigre...ot/unicase-ot/ . that's one you won't see very often, but it combines a slightly offbeat tone with nice typography. (My not-so-inner font geek might be showing up. Not everyone necessarily would notice this font.)

Do any of those appeal to you, at all? It would help me, in narrowing stuff down, if you had warm/cold reactions to any of them.

Oh, and last but not least, I would be remiss, given the TONE of the cover, not to mention Adventure, by PixelSaga. I would seriously do a mockup, using Adventure, and see if it gets you where you are going. Even if you only use it for RISE, and use something similar-but-lighter for the rest (like, SF Comic Script?), it's worth a shot to see if you can make it work. ETA: (or, Mona Shark????)

Once we know what we're doing with the title, which is the most-important text, then we can tackle the byline. I'm likely to suggest a nice, simple, traditional font for that--a sans, maybe, but let's sort out the title, first.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 01-10-2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Added Mona Shark comment.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:46 AM   #45
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Catlady, I have no idea what I'm doing. I envision every book going on as part of the IWS Rules and yet Lainey Tripper is the protagonist and will be in every novel. And excellent question about not being able to have a series without knowing the organization's name. I may not be able to. I don't know. Thanks.
Closed Thread