Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-23-2015, 12:50 AM   #16
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I suggest that a better alternative would be to use an app which honours the publisher's CSS.
If I could find something that runs on my old phone. I am am looking for better hardware, but I have zero budget for what is just a hobby, and am not in the US so most Ebay, etc deals aren't viable.

Quote:
I've designed the occasional ebook myself, for a small press in the UK and for the MobileRead forum. It's hard to express how irritating it is to design an ebook and make sure it validates, and then get complaints that it doesn't work because the complainant uses an app which sets its own idiosyncratic rules.
I also produce ebooks for real publishers. It doesn't matter how correct your book is coded and designed if it doesn't look good on every Kindle. You have to make it work, no matter how dumb the code looks. (Margins are a bugbear on Kindle as well.) I proof these on the emulator on PC, don't have any actual Kindles.

Anyway, I gave up trying to make margins work on FB and just inserted <br/> at the head of all the paras that should have space above. Can remove them easily if I find a better reader.

But I am very surprised this is an issue, FB has been around for 10 years and is updated regularly. To find it just ignores basic CSS was a shock. I wasted hours trying to find what was wrong with my coding when it was the reader that's at fault.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:48 AM   #17
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Use AlReader Alan (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...reader&hl=es); to run it you only need Android 1.6 and is a very very good ereader. Besides, set your top margin in "em" not in "px".

Regards
Rubén

PS: By the way, you can edit your ebook INSIDE AlReader (on the fly). Not very confortable if you are working with a phone but possible.

Last edited by RbnJrg; 02-23-2015 at 06:56 AM.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #18
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Use AlReader Alan (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...reader&hl=es); to run it you only need Android 1.6 and is a very very good ereader. Besides, set your top margin in "em" not in "px".
You may see from my earlier posts that I started with ems, then tried pt and px just to see if they worked.

I installed AlReader, it ignores both indents and margins. At least, I can't see how to make it follow the CSS. It seems to apply its own default style to every paragraph. You can change the default, but that just affects all paras.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I suggest that a better alternative would be to use an app which honours the publisher's CSS.

I've designed the occasional ebook myself, for a small press in the UK and for the MobileRead forum. It's hard to express how irritating it is to design an ebook and make sure it validates, and then get complaints that it doesn't work because the complainant uses an app which sets its own idiosyncratic rules.
That seems to happen mostly with Android. But iOS has some apps that are just as poor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #20
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm having this problem with Kobo books. I posted in the Sigil forum, because I'm using Sigil, but should I have posted here?
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I'm having this problem with Kobo books. I posted in the Sigil forum, because I'm using Sigil, but should I have posted here?
You should have posted in the ePub forum as it has nothing to do with Sigil. Request that thread be moved to the ePub forum and also post your code (XML and full CSS).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Was Moved from Sigil
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:12 AM   #23
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
I've been trying several Android reader. Aldiko was my first purchase, then Moon+ Reader Pro, Google Play Book, and now FBreader + Bookshelf plugin. All have their own pros and cons. But unfortunately none of them provide all of the features I need:

1) Display of texts as shown in Calibre (yes, I use calibre as the main Editor): margin, indent, embedded fonts. For page-layout + embedded fonts, Google Play Book is the best. It never fails me. But it doesn't allow to change page margin. It maybe a big problem with small screen devices. Moon+ Reader also displays embedded fonts, but sometimes it doesn't, and I don't know why. Moon+ Reader is bad at showing the good page playout (it ignores completely margin values). FBreader now does much a better job than Moon Reader regarding this issue.

2) I want popup footnote/endnote. Moon+ Reader is the only one that provides that, as far as I know. Even Kindle doesn't (it works on Paperwhite, though), Google Play Book doesn't.

Last edited by nqk; 03-23-2015 at 12:15 AM.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #24
eMole
Zealot
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD, PocketBook Era
Others have created CSS test ePub books posted here in MobileRead forums. I use them to evaluate readers and the results are pretty poor. Some apps just don't bother about CSS at all (AlReader), some overrule them heavily (Moon+), some omit text (PageTurner). ADE based reader apps render the books best (Aldiko), if you find the correct configuration options (Aldiko omits CSS by default). CoolReader is crashy, Pocketbook andriod app just choked on the first test ebook. I still stick to FBReader, but I check/modify the CSS in EVERY book I upload to my reader.
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #25
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
I've been trying several Android reader. Aldiko was my first purchase, then Moon+ Reader Pro, Google Play Book, and now FBreader + Bookshelf plugin. All have their own pros and cons. But unfortunately none of them provide all of the features I need:
I am puzzled. What is it you are trying to do, build an epub for publication? If so, why don't you use the devices/apps provided by the retailers, such as the ultimate consumer will be using? I have been publishing e-books since the Kindle platform opened in November 2007, and I have never had occasion to use any of those apps you mention.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote