Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #1
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Looking for a more open (Android?) version of the Paperwhite 2/3

Currently using an unregistered Kindle Paperwhite (3rd gen) for sideloaded mobi. I really like the hardware (300 ppi & front-light) and the price was right, too. Problem is it doesn't support collections unless the device is registered to Amazon.

I'm looking for an e-ink reader with similar hardware to the Paperwhite (212 ppi is acceptable, maybe ~$150 price point?), one that doesn't need to be registered in order to work. Primarily, I would like better support for collections and/or integration with Calibre.

All books will be DRM-free epub (or could be any format that Calibre supports) and will be sideloaded via USB.

Thanks in advance!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
If you jailbreak it you can install non-cloud based collections software. I imagine you can jailbreak without registering though I'm not sure.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=107746&page=2

Otherwise it will probably have to be a kobo.
edit: kobo must be registered.

You can just set up dummy accounts, but I guess you know that.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo Aura Edition 2 fits those specs. They do need to be registered, but, Kobo do not check the email address used. There are also ways to bypass this completely.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Kobo Aura Edition 2 fits those specs. They do need to be registered, but, Kobo do not check the email address used. There are also ways to bypass this completely.
Yeah you can skip registration by simply inserting one line into the sqlite database. Details are in the relevant kobo thread.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
If you jailbreak it you can install non-cloud based collections software. I imagine you can jailbreak without registering though I'm not sure.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=107746&page=2

Otherwise it will probably have to be a kobo.
edit: kobo must be registered.

You can just set up dummy accounts, but I guess you know that.
Can't jailbreak unfortunately. I never disable wifi so it auto updated on me and firmware is at 5.9.4.

I'd prefer not to create dummy Amazon accounts so as not to run afoul of their ToS. I've got a ton of purchases on my Amazon (seller) account including probably thousands of dollars accumulated worth of comics via both Kindle and comiXology so I'd rather not take any risks.

I'd like to keep my sideloaded ebooks completely separate from actual ebook purchases which is part of my issue with Kindle and Kobo. Granted, I have DRM-free backups of my Kobo purchases and haven't used that in forever so I guess for Kobo, it doesn't matter if I use a dummy account.

Question though, I had an Aura HD before and one of the reasons I switched to Kindle is because the tap zone for next page on the Aura was too small (only the right 33% of the screen width was available for next page). I read one-handed and frequently switch hands while reading so page navigation when I'm using my left hand was a pain. Has that changed in recent versions?
Advert
Old 02-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Can't jailbreak unfortunately. I never disable wifi so it auto updated on me and firmware is at 5.9.4.

I'd prefer not to create dummy Amazon accounts so as not to run afoul of their ToS. I've got a ton of purchases on my Amazon (seller) account including probably thousands of dollars accumulated worth of comics via both Kindle and comiXology so I'd rather not take any risks.

I'd like to keep my sideloaded ebooks completely separate from actual ebook purchases which is part of my issue with Kindle and Kobo. Granted, I have DRM-free backups of my Kobo purchases and haven't used that in forever so I guess for Kobo, it doesn't matter if I use a dummy account.

Question though, I had an Aura HD before and one of the reasons I switched to Kindle is because the tap zone for next page on the Aura was too small (only the right 33% of the screen width was available for next page). I read one-handed and frequently switch hands while reading so page navigation when I'm using my left hand was a pain. Has that changed in recent versions?
Why don't you want to register your Paperwhite to your real account? You can still sideload all your books. All the books on my Kindles are sideloaded from Calibre, even Amazon purchases. I never download anything directly from Amazon and so there's no problem keeping sideloaded books and Amazon purchases separate. I just never use the Amazon cloud.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Kobo Aura ed. 2 doesn't have a 300 ppi screen, it only has 212 ppi. Of course it might not be terribly important to the OP.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:54 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why don't you want to register your Paperwhite to your real account? You can still sideload all your books. All the books on my Kindles are sideloaded from Calibre, even Amazon purchases. I never download anything directly from Amazon and so there's no problem keeping sideloaded books and Amazon purchases separate. I just never use the Amazon cloud.
I'd like to keep the libraries completely separate. It's a pain having to deal with both on the same device. The sideloaded books are all fanfics and I'd rather not have the collections for those littering my primary Kindle account.

I actually have two Paperwhite 3s - one registered (Amazon purchases and Kindle Unlimited) and one that's been deregistered (sideload). Alas, both have firmware versions that can't be jailbroken.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-25-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'd like to keep the libraries completely separate. It's a pain having to deal with both on the same device.

I actually have two Paperwhite 3s - one registered (Amazon purchases and Kindle Unlimited) and one that's been deregistered (sideload). Alas, both have firmware versions that can't be jailbroken.
Well, there is also an option to register your other PW (with sideloaded books) to a family member's account, one who doesn't buy ebooks himself/herself. That way there's no mixing up purchases. If you have such a family member, of course.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:10 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Moreover, is there anything in the TOS that says you cannot have several Amazon accounts? I know that many people have more than one. Some have their seller account and buyer account separate, with different e-mail addresses.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Moreover, is there anything in the TOS that says you cannot have several Amazon accounts? I know that many people have more than one. Some have their seller account and buyer account separate, with different e-mail addresses.
I actually didn't find any but they have cracked down and terminated mutiple seller accounts before so I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The Kobo sounds like a good bet at the moment. I just need to find more info on page navigation.

I've been reading primarily using my tablet. There are plenty of reading apps that support automatic grouping by Tags/Subjects and that works well enough for me. Unfortunately, I've been getting frequent migraine attacks of late even with night mode permanently enabled. E-ink doesn't give me migraines and even with front light, e-ink readers are still usable even when I've got migraines hence the search for a PW3 alternative.

In any case, I could live without the collections. They'd be quite useful to have, though.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:19 PM   #12
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Current Kobo options on the stock firmware are 1/3 left back + 1/3 right forward, 1/3 left back + 2/3 right forward, 2/3 left forward + 1/3 right back or top 1/3 back + bottom 1/3 forward.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:37 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Current Kobo options on the stock firmware are 1/3 left back + 1/3 right forward, 1/3 left back + 2/3 right forward, 2/3 left forward + 1/3 right back or top 1/3 back + bottom 1/3 forward.
Awesome! That 1/3 left back + 2/3 right forward sounds like it will do the trick. Looks like Kobo it is.

Now I just have to decide between the Kobo Aura, Edition 2 or Kobo Aura H2O, Edition 2. The latter seems to be quite a nice upgrade while still below $200.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #14
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
This is my complaint with Kobo. You can install Coolreader which includes flexible tap-zone customization, but then you lose Nickel functionality. I think Koreader page-turn controls are better than Nickel, but not as good as Coolreader. IMO this is a an achilles heel of both Kobo and Kindle.

If you can find a Boyue or an Onyx in your price point, both have good screen navigation. I set all the screen except the center to do a page turn (the center is settings) and I swipe to go back.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 02-25-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
This is my complaint with Kobo. You can install Coolreader which includes flexible tap-zone customization, but then you lose Nickel functionality. I think Koreader page-turn controls are better than Nickel, but not as good as Coolreader. IMO this is a an achilles heel of both Kobo and Kindle.

If you can find a Boyue or an Onyx in your price point, both have good screen navigation. I set all the screen except the center to do a page turn (the center is settings) and I swipe to go back.
What is Nickel?

I found a Boyue Likebook Air 6" 300 ppi 1G/16G on AliExpress for $169 with free ship and no tax so effectively just $25 more than the 6" Aura. Is that a decent ereader? I did a quick search on Onyx/Boyue and it sounds like it might support Moon+ Reader and Calibre Companion? Is that correct? If so, that would be really good.

I do the same thing with tap zones on my ereader apps. Even Apple iBooks, as uncustomizable as it is allows the same.

I loved my Sony PRS-350 with PRS Plus custom firmware. That was almost perfect. Only problem I had with it was no front light and the page refresh was a bit on the slow side.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-25-2018 at 10:36 PM.